Six weeks post TAH, exhausted.

Posted , 7 users are following.

If it wasn't for this exhaustion I'd actually feel pretty good. TAH, ovaries left, only half the cervix gone because of the scar tissue. My bladder was embedded in scar tissue, so was my uterus. (5 c sections).

I feel great.. Then exhausted. I go for a walk.. Then exhaustion ...

I was thinking I need to get bloodwork done or something but thought I'd ask first if this is normal? I can't commit to anything past 6 pm, for fear I'll be too tired.

Is anyone else experiencing this in their journey?

Thanks. Karrie

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karrie Iam 7 weeks tah everything out and cut from side to side Iam the same total exhausted I can go for a walk and feel iv done a 12 hr shift at work iv now been given another 6weeks off work due to how Iam feeling and my line of work hope you soon start feeling abit better
    • Posted

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not alone. I was staring to write there was something what wrong with me. Hope you start feeling better soon!

• Posted

You're scaring me!! I'm booked for July 20 for a vaginal hysterectomy and repair. Im really hoping that be 6 weeks I'll be heading vack to work...!!

• Posted

Oh no you will be fine with how you are having yours done just how mine was done being cut just a longer recovery
    • Posted

I've heard your recovery is different then the full cut, but still exhausting. Our bodies heading I guess. Hope it all goes well for you'd

• Posted

Maria everyone's recovery is different, but even a vaginal hysterectomy is major surgery. It is rare for anyone to be back at work at 6 weeks...most folks take longer to recover. The internal work that needs doing is just as major as external, you just dont see it.  All folks respond differently. Each surgery is different depending on what the docs find when they go in, and what is removed. Only one chamce at proper recovery though if you dont want to set yourself up for probs later. Not trying to be negative or scare you, just be aware everyones recovery is personal to them.  Hope it all goes really well for you, and best wishes on your recovery. K.

Ps. There is a guide on the hysterectomy association site that gives an idea of what folks can expect, and also peoples experiences. Usually find a link in the sidebar. 

• Posted

Hi, is it only vaginal, or is it laparascopically assisted? If only vaginal then yes you should be ok after 6 weeks but if lap assisted then you may need longer as the surgeon has to cut through layers of tissue/muscle etc to get where he is going so needs longer to heal. (I picked these 2 words out as obviously we are all different and some of us heal quicker than others.)

• Posted

Hi Karrie. I am 4 weeks post TAH. I too am struggling with exhaustion. By 6pm I am ready for bed as I need to lie down and stretch my body out flat as well as just relax. I have 4 children and my poor husband basically has to take over from me and do all duities on an evening!

People warned me about the tiredness and said it would be bad, so I guess it's a normal part of recovering. Just a quick question, do you get nagging throbbing pains in one side one day and then the other side another day? It almost feels like my ovaries are throbbing?? Quite painful but comes and goes through the day.

Good luck with your recovery, and let's look forward to "being a new women" in no time x

• Posted

Hi Karrie.

I'm feeling the same as you, I'm  7 weeks post surgery and not only am I totally exhausted, and still have pain and on medication. I've also had a flair up of my arthritis  as well, so wondering if this is connected and maybe why I'm taking so long to heal. I'm trying to ensure I'm walking everyday, but if I do anymore that that it takes days to recovery. Seeing the consultant on Friday, with a whole list of questions, I'm not ready to return to work at this stage. How is  everyone else feeling at this stage? 

• Posted

Only on day one....only discomfort is the gas
    • Posted

I still have my ovaries

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.