Six weeks post UFE

Posted , 1 user is following.

In late August I had uterine fibroid embolization. The procedure went smooth but at the end the IR (interventional radiologist) told me because I didn’t want him to use metal coils (only the pellets)that there was a blood vessel that he couldn’t block. He did not warn me that not using metal coils might prevent him from blocking a blood vessel when I asked him not to use metal coil’s weeks before the procedure. If he did, I would’ve had time to think about it and maybe even change my mind.

Of course I was furious but I was too medicated to respond. I didn’t have any cramping and very little pain. I stayed in the hospital overnight. I did have to lay still for about six hours immediately after as they went through the pelvis (really the panty line). The worst part was the catheterization. That was the most uncomfortable experience of the whole procedure. I went home not fully understanding what the doctor said and I did ask other doctors later what he meant but they didn’t completely answer my question. I get home I am not suffering so my family stayed with me a few days and then left.

Three days later I am back in the hospital because I have bled so much! My friend took me to the hospital emergency room, I was in the hospital for about 4 days as my blood level was so low. I think my number was below 5 they usually consider transfusions at 8 just to get an idea of how low my blood was and I before UFC I was at 8.5.

Besides the bleeding I had a fever and a very violent cough it was terrible. They did a bunch of test and put me on an IV of iron and gave me some antibiotics. Finally, I was able to go home but I need to do IV outpatient iron.

If the one blood vessel is still feeding the tumor I think that’s how I wound up in the situation. I go to the gynecologist in a few weeks and will find out what if anything can be done. Even though I had such a difficult situation I would not mind having that vessel blocked if it’s going to stop the bleeding.

I think I put everything here but if anybody has any questions just go ahead and post and I’ll post right back.

thank you all for your support.

kimjon

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.