Sjogren's?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Over the past few years I have been diagnosed with: IBS, Fibromyalgia, Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and kidney stones.  I'm now hoping I'll be able to see an ophthalmologist about my dry eyes which are really bothering me.  I was also diagnosed with Lichen Planus in August, an autoimmune disease.  It has seemed to be one thing after another!

Regarding my dry eyes, a friend mentioned Sjogren's and I'm wondering whether to ask my GP what he thinks.  I had an ANA blood test last year - the doctor wondered about Lupus - but it was negative.  Has anyone else this combination of problems which turned out to be Sjogren's?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I personally don't have Sjogrens but a similar problem. I would say yes your profile fits with this type of vasculitis whether it is Sjogren's or another type. Symptoms often overlap and negative ana does not always rule out Lupus. It can be negative when you have it.

My advice is pursue further a proper diagnosis so you can have more understanding of symptoms and better treatment.

• Posted

Hi Cheetah,

I have Sjorgrens and Fibromyalgia they go hand in hand together (according to my RA) anyway.  

Regards,

Mandy

• Posted

Thank you very much, Margaret and Mandy.  I may well mention it to the ophthalmologist if I get the chance, or failing that, will make an appointment to discuss it all with the GP.
  • Posted

I don't have the exact symptoms and syndromes you have, but I have been diagnosed with IBS, and sjogrens (by lip biopsy) and test negative on blood work. It's possible to have sjogrens, but not have positive for addition immune conditions in blood work.

• Posted

Thank you.  That's really interesting to know.

• Posted

Hi Cheetah 

I was diagnosed with GERD , gastritis, oesophagitis (endoscopy) Sjogrens (blood test)  and more recently Fibro...symptoms .I am currently on 400 mg hydrochloroquine (200 morning + evening). I didn't take the Fibro med (only continued with hydrchloro...)The fibro. has significantly eased off so I wondered if fibro was just sjogrens?? . Haven't been back to the rheum.

?the gastroenterologist said all my 'stomach issues' probably driven by sjogrens

I have had lachrymal plugs put in both eyes for dry eyes.  

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  It's interesting to see that you have similar problems to myself.  I've made a list of all my diagnoses over the past five years and am going to see my GP next week.  I'm hoping he will consider referring me to a rheumatologist to get this checked out.  

• Posted

Hi I too have gastritis and fibro symptoms. Plaquenil has helped me too massively. You mention it by another name hydro whatever! Can never remember it fully.
  • Posted

Well, I saw the GP who said that I'd had an ANA test last year, which was negative, so it wasn't likely to be Sjogren's.   He didn't feel it was necessary to have another blood test.  I'll be seeing an ophthalmologic  consultant in three months so about my dry eyes,  so may well mention it again to him and see what he says. I know that blood tests aren't a definitive diagnosis and people can still have Sjoregen's even with a negative test, but, to be honest, I didn't feel up to an argument!  I might mention it to my dermatologist when I see her in November as well - she's dealing with the Lichen Planus. Thank you all for your advice and help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.