Sjogren's and exercises?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have sjogren's and systemic sclerodermatitis. I have been told to do some exercises as these may help stretch connective tissues and alleviate some stiffness in scleroderma. With sjogren's, i just feel exhausted most of the time and I wonder if doing some exercises could help or aggravate my exhaustion. Is there anyone out there who could point out to me what exercises best suit me? Thank you and hope to hear back from you...

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I don't know where you live but my local spinal hospital (royal national orthopaedic in Stanmore) has a great gym (Aspire leisure centre) with very warm pool. They do a few Aqua aerobics type classes plus water aids with a physio - mostly attended by older people. The teacher modifies instructions for each individual and anyone can attend. It's been a life changer to help lossen me up and build muscle. Good to be social to. I walk every day to but doesn't seem to help too much with stiffness in neck and back. Maybe there is something close to you? Good luck.
  • Posted

Eva, 

I have tried multiple exercises iand was only able to get some results without pain through swimming, water aerobics, yoga and meditation. This made me flexible enough to train with an instructor at home and I lost 30lbs. However, I am on Prednisone right now and have gained 50lbs since then.

I have signed up again for water aerobics and swimming and am looking forward to it.

Hope it helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.