sjogren's and paleo autoimmune protocol

Posted , 16 users are following.

A friend of mine sent me a link about a more strick version of the paleo diet It's called the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol. Has anyone out there heard of it or tried it? If so, did it work? She knows I've been diagnosed with sjogren's and wanted to help but I'm not sure I can eat like that the rest of my life. She also mentioned GAPS diet. Help, anyone?

2 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Dallas

I have been diagnosed with Sjogren's recently and it is at the moment quite inconvenient. I looked up Paleo for more information re the lifestyle. It's all very good and I could follow it, except I can't swallow solid food and my diet is very restricted - all soft foods. I make my own soups and blend them down, mostly all different vegetables however I do eat scrambled eggs and egg custard which I thought would add to my protein intake and they slip down easily. Can't manage any meat or fish, but can eat bananas mashed, tinned pears, tinned peaches. I eat probiotic yoghurts/drinks and that's about it. I would be delighted if I could eat, still investigating the reasons - been 3 months now.

So give the changes a go dallas and be happy that you can at least eat - you never know, you might start to feel really great.

• Posted

Margery, maybe you should take Kefir and or Kombucha drinks..I do, they are amazing...google them..you make them yourself..very easy to make..very cheap actually no cost really...full of probiotics...sooo good for you...please let me know if you need any assistance with them..eager to help anyone.(ive been making and drinking them for a couple of years now).but googling tells you everything..:-) xxx be blessed..-Australia
    • Posted

Thank you Christine, I've never heard of these so will google for info and get back to you if I need any help. Many thanks xx
  • Posted

I'm intrigued by the 'autoimmune protocol. aspect of paleo. I partly follow the paleo diet - gluten free and wih no dairy or grains. I like beans though and white potatoes and cheese! When i wanted to loose weight last year i went strictly paleo for a few weeks - i lost 12 lbs in 12 days! However i felt very tired indeed in the first week - this is common as you go into carbs and dairy withdrawl. It's worth sticking it out as you get natural carbs from fruit and veg. I'm thinking of going strictly paleo agin.
    • Posted

I never went on the Autoimmune Protocol, just the Oaleo. But we too like potatoes..so we now have them in moderation..however, we make yummy chips out of sweet potatoes..swedes..turnips etc....we also have dairy...if your body can handle dairy..then it's ok for you to have...I make mashed sweet potato and some potatoes in it too..when I make cottage or shepherds pie.....you just have to see what your body can handle..but Paleo is just amazing..it's not a diet it's really a lifestyle...hope it all works well for you Katie...be blessed..:-) Australia. Also we have a Kombucha twice a day and kefir once a day...make my own yogurt out of kefir and cream cheese to...out if pure yoghurt...
  • Posted

Hello, I have not read my Paleo books yet, thought I would the Easter binge finished. I have had Sjogrens for a long time and then after 2 or 3 years of huge constant stress my body packed it in and my GP put me on steroids. I am now on my 2nd go around and down to 5mg. I have read a little of the Paleo on Facebook but I am not often on it. But I am here for you and wish you peace and calm with this. As I found huge stress makes it worse.
  • Posted

When I first read this disscussion a couple of months ago I thought no away I could or would be willing to try the Paleo Diet I thought it too restrictive. Long story short I decided to try the regular Paleo Diet and it had an immediate effect decreasing the pain in my back and shoulders. I started losing weight no more bloat, less gas no more constipation. I went further as to try the Autoimmune Protocol. No nuts no seeds no nightshade veggies. More positive responses. It takes alot of work and discipline to stay on this diet. They say if you have an hour a day to spend in front of the computer or TV then you have time for this diet. Now I am not even tempted by many foods because I know they will make me feel bad. I say commit to it for 6 weeks consider it a new hobby an adventure! It truly is worth the work just tweak it to suit you.

My husband went on the regular Paleo with me and has lost over 15lbs in 4 weeks and lowered his blood pressure. Try it and feel better!

Sally

• Posted

I am soooo glad to hear you gave Paleo a try, not to mention sticking to it and going further..this is a lifestyle you just cannot explain the benefits of to there..you just have to give it a go...I can't soeakera highly enough if it and the Autoimme Protocol is just unreal...way to go....be blessed Sally..:-) xxxx 
    • Posted

Oops..sorry "benifits of to others"

"can't soeak" 

"of it" ..,was meant to read. Grrr it does tend to put it's  own words in..lol

• Posted

Hello All and christine26761, thank you as you got me on Paleo Mum and what an amazing diet.

I've been on it now for 3 months and it's amazing.

Took my willingness to want to feel better to be able to stick to it. I am still on the strict AIP, not sure how to introduce other foods to see if I am going to react, but I'm certain it would show itself.

I only have sweet potatoes and plantain as my carbs nothing else and only and I mean only season my food with pink sea and occasionally coconut oil.

Loving it though, but I've been thinking only thinking of adding more recipes.

Give it a trial and see it as a new lifestyle you are developing and watch the changes.

• Posted

We'll done you Tina..,isn't it an awesome dietary lifestyle..can't believe how much we can eat..,things we never even tried befire.,we had a banquet at a Cantonese restuarant a few months ago..mm...I introduced rice back into my diet...not much either..O' I could actually feel it there and then so couldn't digest it properly I felt it  all the way to my stomach it as awful...never again...but that was an immediate result..I will be sticking to cauliflower rice for..sure,,well done to you again..we can help ourselves soo much by doing soooo little really..be blessed Tina..have a lovely day..:-) xx
  • Posted

Hi Dallas - I've heard it does help. I'm not sure if the Paleo Autoimmune protocol means cutting out gluten or not but I have heard eliminating gluten is helpful.

I'm cutting out gluten and juicing more and it seems to help. I'll try anything to minimize or eliminate SS symptoms.

Good luck to you and let us know how it's going.

• Posted

Yes Tracy and Dallas...it means no gluten...wheat flour, processed food rice,..pasta.. grain ect..just look it up..there us sooo much else you use in their place it's..amazing..I use spiralled Zuchinni for pasta or Konjac...and whizzed cauliflour for rice...it's certainly easy and sooo much better fior you too...just google it you'll be shocked..:-) xxx
    • Posted

Hi Christine - thanks so much for the tip! I was just researching AIP and ordered a book on AIP.

Has it helped with your symptoms?

• Posted

Yes..very much..have been on it 3 years now ....giving up bread was my worst and baked potatoes..yum..but sweet potato is great and baked swede...anything you have to give up..there is sooo much more...I make my own bread if I need to have it-( hardly ever) I want it with  buckwheat..which isn't wheat-a grain or almond or coconut flour...it's quite fun once you get into it...SUGAR is sooo bad fir you..just don't believe that saturated fat is bad fir you...that it gives you cholesterol CIA it dissent at all..it's the sugar that stuffs up your veins...cholesterol just does what it's suppose to do it goes  there and tries to fix it..that's why it's always there during heart operations..it's just unreal what we've been taught over the decades..and really believe..I've done lots of research through scientific research...xxx
    • Posted

I've been on the paleo autoimmune diet for 2 weeks and it works!!! My symptoms are reduce significantly and my energy level is so much better - more consistent. 

I still have the symptoms but not half as bad. Good suggestion!

• Posted

Hi Christine - thank you for your suggestion with AIP. I've been following it for a couple of months and it has helped a lot. At first I wasn't sure until I ate poorly (gluten and sugar) for a week and felt awful. Overall, I have more energy and don't feel bloated.

I also bought the AIP book which was incredibly helpful because it's important to me to understand what's going on internally. It contains a lot of great information on autoimmune diseases too.

I also bought a spiraller (sp) for zuchinni but it's still in the box. smile I've been eating a lot of cauliflower too which has been wonderul and so easy to incorporate into my meals. 

• Posted

Well done you thats awesome its quite a hard eating regime for many people to stick to, it does take a little while to start seeing /feeling the benifts so many give up, too soon..We have just had 2 weeks holiday and I ate things I shouldnt have actually my

husbands is doing it too, we really felt it after we had sugar and wheat...it was unreal ive never gone off it before, but it certainly showed us the difference, really happy for you tracy, I love vegies, just made a cauliflower dish..yummmy...i woud be so lost without my spiraller be blessed and have a lovely day😚

• Posted

can i eat pasta?   i need to gain weight,,,every time i eat im constantly clearing n]my throat,,,im suffering from this diseasev  and always get mucous.........gluten free bread and i use butter to go down.....also eggs with spinach    how do you eat tumeric  sheila    please helpxxxx
    • Posted

No pasta on Paleo..its processed, but you can make your own out of non wheat and gluten free flour, personally..i use Zukhinni i spiral it its like spagetti..i also blitz my caulfllower to make rice, Paleo eating lifestyle put weight on my husband as he needed it and off me coz i needed it. Its a bit of mucking around making your own pasta, but if thats what you like, go for it.😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.