sjogren's and paleo autoimmune protocol

Posted , 16 users are following.

A friend of mine sent me a link about a more strick version of the paleo diet It's called the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol. Has anyone out there heard of it or tried it? If so, did it work? She knows I've been diagnosed with sjogren's and wanted to help but I'm not sure I can eat like that the rest of my life. She also mentioned GAPS diet. Help, anyone?

2 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm on my third week and I see absolutely no improvement yet.

Just made me lose more weight that I didn't want to lose.

• Posted

Hi Shira - there's a very helpful book on the paleo diet for auto-immune diseases. It may helpful to understand the benefits of eating a paleo diet internally. As I understand it, it takes 1-3 months to experience the benefits. For me, it's knowing I'm doing everything I can to be healthy long-term. Good luck.
    • Posted

Also, I have more energy and feel better overall. 
    • Posted

I'm still on the diet, about 2 months now,and getting discouraged.

Must say my digestion has improved, but my inflammatory issues are still going strong. sad

• Posted

Hi Shira - hang in there. 

Improved digestion is a huge first step to a healthier body. It really is. Have you considered buying the AIP book? I found it to be very helpful to understand which foods help with inflammation and to better understand the nature of autoimmune diseases. 

Also, there has been a lot more research on autoimmune diseases and unhealthy gut flora. So you're on the right track!

My thoughts are with you. SS is a horrible disease and know how disabling it can be. 

Tracy

• Posted

Hi Shira,

I started on Paleo in April I lost weight and do have better digestion.

If you are not wanting to loose weight you have to incorporate more fat in to your diet and more high sugar fruits and vegies sweet potatoes etc.

I still have problems with inflamation even though I have seen some improvement inflamation and pain are still a daily problem so don't be discouraged if the diet is helping in some areas but not all. I treat the pain and inflamation seperately. Paleo is not a cure all but it does help. You have to tweak it to fit your needs.

If you don't want to loose any more weight maybe you could look up what foods are high in calories but still good for you. Paleo is not for everybody don't feel bad if you decide to quit and focus on maintaining a healthy weight for yourself. Feel better,

Sally

• Posted

Hi Sally,

I see you're on the AI Paleo version. I wonder how much improvement in inflammation one can expect from this diet. My parotid glands are chronically inflamed and that's my greatest concern right now.

As far as fat, I have to be careful with high sugar fruits since I am pre-diabetic. I do eat salmon and avocado, though I can't seem to gain any weight. I lost 10kg when the Sjogren's began for some unknown reason.

I do have a question regarding cutting out dairy: How do I get calcium without eating dairy? I cannot digest meat.

• Posted

Hi Shira,

I'll be honest I don't think the Paleo diet is responsible for any decrease in my inflamation except for some I have noticed with cutting out Gluten. Although my digestion issues are better. My Rhuemy told me there has been no scientific proof that Paleo is beneficial to Autoimmune diseases and it really is no more than a Placebo afffect. When he told me this I was disappointed but remained on the diet because I feel better on it. My Parotid was constantly inflamed until the Plaquenil kicked in since then it hasn't been an issue. It is my understanding that many vegetables are high in calcium I believe spinach is one..? I'm sorry you are having such a struggle with food, good luck and feel better,

Sally

• Posted

Thank you Sally! I wish I could take Plaquenil as well, unfortunately I wasn't able to tolerate it. I'm staying on the diet meanwhile since it's the only thing I can do for now.
    • Posted

Hi Shira - there's no cure for Sjogren's either so the best you can do is to eat healthier. 

For me Paleo doesn't eliminate my symptoms - just makes them better. Less inflammation, less bloatedness, more energy, etc. 

My Rheumy told me that all of her patients are on Paleo so I guess everyone is different. 

• Posted

Sorry - meant this for Sally.

Shira - good for you for staying on the Paleo diet. My Rheumy told me that all of her SS patients are on Paleo. Doesn't hurt to be as healthy as you can!  

Hang in there. 

• Posted

Thanks Tracy, my one concern with the diet is getting enough calcium without the dairy. I do eat alot of salmon and figs, so hopefully that will give me enough.
    • Posted

Shira - vegetables contain calcium. As I understand it, by replacing hard cheeses, cereal grains and process foods w/green veggies and fruits the body comes back into acid/base balance which brings us back into calcium balance. So I think you're okay if you're getting plenty of green veggies and fruit.

Google it though. There's a ton of information out there. Here's what I know for me; when I eat sugar, carbs, and processed foods I feel very sick. When I eat Paleo I feel better -- not cured but better which is the most I can hope for and one of the only things in my control.

I learn the most through other people who have SS or Hashimotos, etc. and one common theme that is more effective than anything is our diet. 

I went off of Plaquenil about a month+ ago and am so relieved not to be on it but concerned because I'm not sure how my SS symptoms will respond. My take is I'll happily deal w/the SS symptoms vs. being on a medication that can be bad for you in the long run -- which is where Paleo comes in. 

Take good care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.