Sjogrens and benefits

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone claimed benefits for disability as everything's so complicated.? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That one's impossible to answer, as it depends a) on how serious your symptoms are and b) on where you live. This is a UK site, but we also have posters from continental Europe, the Middle East, Australia and various US states. (Forgive me if I've missed anyone out!)

• Posted

Hi. I haven’t but have explored the criteria. I live in the US and Sjorgems qualifies but has to meet a strict criterion. You should be able to google more information. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

I'm on disability but from an accident a couple of years before SS Dx, 30 yrs ago, all in the States. There are very important things to do for any disability list:

1. Work as much and as long as you can because getting disability is a long hard right, emotionally brutal. It is much harder to be not working than you think it will be. Also, do you have a long enough work history at full-time to get anything in disability?

2. Keep a lot book of every doc/med/ therapy visit of any kind, and every single prescription.

3. Recreate as much if your earlier medical history, w/doc names, as possible.

4. Persist persist persist. Except for AIDS -- no longer an automatically disabling disease-- and a few certain cancers, everyone gets turned down the 1st time. Plan on an appeal or 2.

5. Do not leave everything to an attorney if you hire one. I only got an attorney for the 3d appeal, legal aid, and I wrote 7 pages to go with what he wrote. I happen to have a law degree and knew we'd need more than he was submitting. It's up to you to make sure that they get all your records & submit them.

Good luck. A couple of people from my in-person group have tried. Have only heard back from 1, who gave up after being denied the 1st time. She's late 50s & now she has to start over again. So I'd love to know how it goes for you.

• Posted

It's a long hard right, emotionally brutal!

• Posted

Aitarg, I think you meant "long hard fight"! Sorry, but couldn't help noticing you got it wrong again in the correction. Tee-hee-hee!razz I think we all figured out what you meant to say anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.