Sjogrens and Herpes simplex 2

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with sjogrens and cutaneous lupus 10 years ago and i am taking plaquenil. Two years ago i got what looked like an allergic reaction and was put on prednisone . It turned out to be shingles. Soon afterwards I was diagnosed with an outbreak which never in my life had experienced this. The dr said that the prednisone had lowered my immune system and the virus can remain dormant for along time till your immune system goes down. After I got over the shock i have been trying to deal with the outbreaks naturally. At first they gave me valtrex but i only took it for the 10 days. Just recently i have been getting more outbreaks . I am quite hesitant because i wonder if it is just a waste of time in taking an anti viral since i have an auto immune. Will it work ? Has anybody been successful in suppressing the virus ? I dont want to take more medication if i dont have too. I would appreciate any suggestions . Thank you and have a blessed weekend .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi Sunflower is your diagnosis of herpes definite? There is a condition called Behcet's which overlaps Sjogren's and lupus . Very similar. But it has the added joy of genital ulceration. A lot of sufferers are misdiagnosed.

I think that if you are given anti virals you should take them. Your immune system will be compromised with your illness and your treatment. I have had shingles because of treatment bringing down my immune system and anti virals helped. x

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

Unfortunately it was confirmed by a swab test and a HSV 2 IGG blood test.

• Posted

hi. I put a message out on our help group page and got a response from someone with a similar diagnosis mix to you who confirmed anti viral meds do work for her with her compromised immune system. Good luck. Hope you get relief from symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

Oh my goodness, there are no words to express how I feel for your kind gesture of taking the time to try to get an answer for me. And a special thank you for the person that responded. . So there is hope!!! The last few months I have been struggling if it isnt one thing or another no matter what I do . So I will give it a try and hope that it will work. I will keep you posted . Thank you Margaret !!! Have a blessed weekend.

• Posted

sorry should have been clearer. A lot of sufferers of Behcet's have been misdiagnosed with Herpes. It depends how it was diagnosed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.