Sjogrens and liver

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anybody with sjogrens have liver problems ive got to have liver biopsy and I'm really concerned

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about people with Sjogren's having liver problems. But I also have several other autoimmune disorders and I started having high liver enzymes. It was solved by taking me off of every medication I was on that could have anything that could affecting my liver. But to be honest it does scare me. So although I don't have to have a liver biopsy yet I think I can understand the fair you're going through at least a little bit longer maybe foot.

• Posted

I also have lupus and the only meds im on is plaquenil and Adcal. I was on steroids but been off that a while now  I do have a fatty  liver as well picked up on a ct scan NAFLD. consultant may put me back on steroids if its my immune system playing up
  • Posted

No biopsy point yet but my LFTs have been a bit elevated for at least 4 years. I altered the amount of tylenol/ acetaminophen i take daily, spaced it out, and #s improved a bit. (Ironically, my other OTC pain med, ibuprofen, can trash the kidneys lol.)

I've read that SS can cause liver problems. It killed my gallbladder 13 years ago, and in some cultures they don't even name the gallbladder as a separate entity from the liver.

I hope that the biopsy turns out okay. You'll be in my thoughts.

• Posted

Are you taking acetaphetamine over the counter or by prescription like percocet? I'm asking because when my liver enzymes were elevated my pain management doctor switched me from Percocet which is acetaphetamine and oxycodone to just oxycodone.

• Posted

Nope no pain killers only rarely paracetomol. HRT Adcal and plaquenil and that's it.

• Posted

OCT, but It's the highest dose, 650mg per tablet so 1300mg when you take 2. I'd had forgotten that there's Tylenol in Percocet. I'm very careful about doses.

• Posted

I find that Excedrin Migraine works better on my pain and then straight Tylenol or aspirin or whatever. It has aspirin Tylenol and caffeine in it. I don't know but I guess the caffeine is the kicker in that.

• Posted

Christine, paracetamol is the UK name for US brand name Tylenol, generic for both is acetaminophen. I would call the doc's office right away to ask if It's okay for you to use it, given your liver issue. I know nothing about the other meds. But I do know that in this country the maker of Tylenol sometimes runs ads saying that if you have a single drink of alcohol, they don't want you to use their medicine, which is a stronger warning than the American Medical Association gives.

• Posted

I may try that as I always have the stuff on hand for migraines, and I don't get many of those any more-- thank God! Thanks for the tip.

• Posted

Having Now read through these posts, I want to endorse the warning about having too much paracetamol. When I was unwell a few years ago I accidentally took too many paracetamol and was hospitalused to monitor my liver until they were happy about whatever level is important. Some of you are very knowledgeable about your drugs; it amazes me. All I know is that for pain management I have cocodamol and/ or paracetamol. But I must not take more than the stated dose, and take extra care as cocodamol contains paracetamol so has to be taken on board as part of the daily dose of the latter. So Meds could be a significant factor, I think. 

• Posted

Actor Heath Ledgers death made a lasting impression on me. He had been taking cough medicine full of acetaminophen and added some straight acetaminophen. And now his brilliant talent is gone forever. I stop and added up what I've had if there's any variance in daily med schedule, and when I had what.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.