Sjogrens mouth dryness so baf

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have Sjogrens and have for a long time. I have been having severe mouth dryness. The other night I was eating dinner and I always take a drink before I take a bite. This time the food got stuck in my esophagus. I was scared and tried everything to get it till go down or bring it up with no luck. I had to call 911 The paramedics said they were taking me to ER. The ER doc gave me to shots and a nitro pill under my tongue. It was suppose to relax the esophagus but didn't. A gastrointerologist and anesthesiologist came in and had to put me under to do an emergency endoscopy. It was 5 and a half hours later. I woke up and the doctor said she saw it and it went down. I really thought I was going to die. I was so scared. I was eating sourdough bread. Never again. I have taken salavart, evovoc too but it didn't help me. I'm now paranoid with every thing I eat. Has anyone had this happen to them or have really fry mouth and eating isn't always easy from our mouth dryness. I have been eating soft food. I dontbwwant anything like that to happen again. Any thing I can do or not to do. Its tough for some f usv.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Very sorry to hear about your scary incident. I think you should always carry water and keep drinking to lubricate your esopagus. 

I wonder if you can rinse your mouth with olive oil and then swallow a bit as a routine before having meals. Its just a suggestion, I came up with. 

• Posted

Thank you. It was so scary. It certainly was an we opener. Your idea makes alot of sense. It can't hurt to try that's for sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

God bless you,

Kristy k

• Posted

Hi I've just replied to Cookie on this. I have had the same. It could be LP of the oesophagus which is reduced in diameter due to scarring. A biopsy would confirm this. You can then get a stretch by endoscope with a balloon to make it easier to swallow. I was told as long as you can breathe you won't choke to death but it is very frightening and I've had a couple of visits to ER myself when food got stuck. It's much better now but I still need to chew thoroughly.
    • Posted

Thank you Penny. I had oral LP about 8 years ago so it could be. I am having a barium xray of the esophagus so I definitely will talk to my Dr.about this. It has really changed how I eat. I'm chewing longer and cutting many things from my diet. The sourdough bread I ate that night I ate too fast and didn't drink or chew well and after 2 hrs. Called 911. I was careless and I know I will never eat it again. Thank you for your suggestions. I will be seeing my doctor soon.

God bless you,

Kristyk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.