Sjogrens Syndrome Diet and Daily Exercise

Posted , 21 users are following.

I am a 46 year Africa. American female who was diagnosed with Sjögren's Syndrome in December 2012. My systems are fatigue and achy joints and muscles.  I have started to experience dry mouth when I wake up in the. Or nine but not everyday.  I take plaqunill once a day and 15mg of presidzone. I am having a difficult time finding a good diet and daily exercise regimen, any suggestions?

3 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Latrice.  

I was recently diagnosed w/Sjogrens too. I find juicing helps a lot. I experience extreme fatigue and have found that juicing at least once a day helps with my energy level. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I forgot about juicing! It really does help. Thank you for your response. I'm going to pick up some organic fruit and vegetables!
    • Posted

Great idea Tracy - but try to concentrate more on vegetables than fruit. Juicing or making smoothies makes the natural sugar in fruits available to the body more quickly and in a more refined form. Better to juice the veggies and just eat maximum two pieces of fruit per day. Huge slugs of sugar - from whatever source - are likely to increase your exhaustion and certainly won't improve the condition of your teeth.
  • Posted

Hi Latrice, I have sjogrens had it for 15 years undiagnosed. Now have flare up.

Because of sjogrens reducing fluid in my joints I am now bone on bone in both knees and hips. Exercise is difficult but I still walk when not in flare ups for 20-30 minutes a day. This really helps with fatigue and depression. It keeps my joints moving not stiff.  On days that you do not feel like walking do not push yourself as it could make it worse. I wish you the best of luck. I live in Florida where it is hot so walk on treadmill or around in the house in hot weather.

• Posted

Lots of fruits and vegetables helps with inflammation. As far as working out I haven't found a good recipe for it yet. I can say that walking has helped in that it doesn't wear me out. When I try to ride my lifecycle I get very tired.

Good luck to you and hang in there.

• Posted

Hi my name is chrissy I have had SS for 21 years I was first diagnosed with SS when I was 31 I am now 52,,  you need to be extremley careful when taking presidzone every day it is  an extremley powerful steriod,,,, I recently was in hospital on life support for 11 days because I had phumonia and complicated by asthma and SS,,,,what happens when you take presidzone your lungs become weaker as your body relys on this steriod,,, I personally would never take this only,,,, when I have a lung infection which I am on them for 10 days and then finish,, but it is your choice I am only saying I personally would never take predizone everyday , I do not take any medication at all,,, and I have had a lot of pain in my joints,,, and muscles,, my nerves move through out my body,,, and SS it also has gone to my brain , I have severe cramps every day all over my body ,,, I do take vitamins  Diet is a huge thing for me I take a very serious view I have a gluton free diet,, and no sugar and nothing processed at all,, I eat alot of  fruit,, nuts seeds,,lots of vegetables  and alittle bit of meat, I take apple cider vinegar and it has helped me ,,, Excercise is very important for me I still walk every day for 30 minutes and even though this can be at a slow pace,, yoga is good and swimming it good too,, My fatigue is bad sometimes,,, so I rest, through the years for me it has gotten worse but I have always had a postive view in life and this SS was not going to beat me I was always going to beat it,, I never worry about it ,, I live in moment and do not worry about tomorrow,,,  
  • Posted

Hi Latrice,

I have Sjögrens too and taking 3 omega-3 capsules

A day has helped me a lot since 2015. I also take. ginkgo biloba, Sublingual B-12 and I stench a lot to reduced the pain in joints- yoga. Even when you feel lazy or tired we have to push ourselves to do the opposite of what we feel, as they say you swim or you sink! My diet is mainly vegetables and fruit, I avoid omega-6 and 9 oils. I only eat olive oil. When you have a chronic disease like this one is important to keep in touch with your doctor, prednisone has not helped me a lot, but I only take 10 my a day sometimes. Mainly my diet, exercise and omega-3

• Posted

I've had Sjogrens for a few years now, for me the worst is fatigue. 

There is one thing that I have done that hasn't been mentioned here before, that I can really recommend; fasting! 

Fasting gives the immune system a reboot of sorts. It's not as hard as you think it is - if your fatigue/symptoms are bad enough it should be worth it trying to fast. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.