Sjorgrens I appear to be allergic to just about everything

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have primary Sjorgrens and been on hydroxychloroquine 400mg daily since Feb 2015, and now all of my muscles in my shoulders and legs have become really painful.  I tried taking pilocarpin and this caused my right armpit to swell as well.  Seems like everything I take just creates another problem.  I have now been out and purchased some sea buckthorn from hb so I hope this is not another waste of time.  Getting quite depressed with trying everything and nothing working.  Most night I don,t sleep due to all the symptoms.

Does anyone else have all these allergies? I am now down to one perfume , and that is channel no. 5, I have the same issues with soap, shampoo, conditions and laundry soap, getting a bit sad now lol, rant over.

Mandy x

2 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mandy- your symptoms sound like mine! I too had an allergic swelling reaction to Pilocarpine (my right hand and arm swelled considerably) and I have developed sudden allergic reactions to laundry detergent, talc, fragrance, soap, nikel, almost all creams and (really strange one) disintegrating synthetic material. I too am depressed over the whole thing, have been prescribed hydroxychloroquine (but am afraid to begin it) and am considering purchasing the sea buckthorn oil (please let us know if it works!).

I have been to 2 allergists and have had extensive testing done and have checked NEGATIVE to every allergy in the book despite the hives, red eyes and crazy itching symptoms.

All I can gather is that this damn disease makes our skin hypersensitive perhaps by harming its defences.

• Posted

Shira

I agree with you. I am in exactly the same position. There is something weird about thyroid disorders . Something that is different and very complex if you know what I mean. There are so many signs and symptoms, allergies and sensitivities that we perhaps did not recognise as part of the bigger picture of say an auto immune disease affecting the thyroid.

It appears that we have a job getting treatment etc because of the complexities of this condition as well as the lack of knowlledge by those in the medical profession.

• Posted

Hi Jean, in my case Sjogren's was not deemed thyroid related, but yes, so many sensitivities. I'm afraid to go out in the sun because just a few minutes of exposure causes me some new spot on my skin. Never had such a problem before.

It's definitely a pain getting treatment. I have been to at least 20 docs in the past few months since things began just trying to find answers and get help. Some even kicked me out of their office and one went so far as to write in my records she believes I suffer from "body dysmorphic disorder"! Why? Because she couldn't detect my dermatological complaints by glancing at me from behind her desk.

So very frustrating...

• Posted

Shira

Are you in the UK ? How dare these docs make these libellous, slanderous comments and make such subjective judgments.

What dermatological complaints could she not see? Surely she has the fact that you have a dermatological complaint  already recorded in your medical records!

If not then she is at fault for not keeping accurate records and also for not making sure that you are not  infectious LOL.

Have you taken photos of the skin to show the dermatological complaint and hence have evidence to show to anyone else that this condition exists and is  not a figment of your imagination.

Have you had a cyrex test done?

Did your dr or the allergists check you out for any food intolerancs? If so which ones/ Did they check you out for all of them?  \have you seen a naturopath at all?

• Posted

Hi Jean, thanks for your concern.

I'm not in the UK unfortunately. My complaints had to do with pimentation changes, white hives and chronic eyelid swelling. I had pictures of the swelling that occurs later on in the day but she just glanced at the very obvious pic momentarily and declared "I don't see anything"! Strangely enough everyone else sees obvious eyelid swelling, dark red lids and even drooping in that pic. Yes, some of the complaints were already previously documented in my records.

Allergists claimed my complaints didn't sound food related so refused to test me.

I went to an alternative med. doctor but he just made my condition worse.

I have bloodwork that shows positive ANA, RNP, RNPa and positive Shirmer's test of 0mm tear production and have had to undergo salivary gland endoscopy.

• Posted

How do the allergists know whether you have any food alergies or not unless they test you.

You wrote ...

Allergists claimed my complaints didn't sound food related so refused to test me.

I would get a second opinion and not mention that you have been told that .

• Posted

Hi Shira,

I know this is an older message, but I hadn't seen it before.  My mother suffered similar symptoms and suffers from Vitiligo, which is also an autoimmune disease.  She had trouble with her eye swelling and also with her skin on her arms at times becoming itchy.  At one point the doctors thought she had a severe infection because of the swelling of her eyes and gave her a large, unecessary, dose of antibiotics which made things worse for her.  This went on for years until she finally made the connection that she was and had been allergic to the sun.  She now covers up with a hat and long sleeved shirts when she goes out.  She also uses an umbrella if needed.  She has also started changing her diet, and this seems to help alleviate some of the symptoms.

She is not taking any prescription medications.  She tries to treat everything as natural as possible.

• Posted

Hi Morelia, thanks for sharing your mother's story.

I also thought at some point the sun might be the culprit since I also have photosensitivity nowadays, however I've tried just staying in the house a few days and it didn't help with the swelling.

In any case I barely go out in the sun and always wear sunglasses and use SPF. I'm also trying a natural food diet now (on week 2), which is not easy but hoping I''ll see some (any!) improvement as I'm so fed up with this situation I'm considering a short course of steroids.

• Posted

Your symptoms sound like mine. Look up corn intolerance (american name for it is maize). Also research blastocystis hominis.
  • Posted

I have allergies too. Please try a gluten free vegan diet. Cut out refined sugars and avoid aspartame. Taking good quality plant sterols helps to settle things too. I can recommend some if you message me.
  • Posted

Hi Mandy!

I was starting to feel really good after almost 7 months on the Plaquenil and I too started having terrible pain through out my body..neck, back and legs especially. My doctor said the pain was more than likely from the Fibromialgia that usually accompanies SS. So I read up on Fibro. and the symptoms were exactly what I was feeling (bummer). My doctor gave me an RX for Tramadol a non-opiate pain reliever that I take once in the morning and once at night. After learning to deal with some side effects I have found my pain has almost completly dissapeared and I am sleeping better. I also have more energy and feel better mentally. Tramadol has an effect on Seritonin levels as well. So try reading up on Fibromyalgia and read about Tramadol for treatment of Fibro. do not dispair and don't go down without a fight! I haven't had the allergy problems you have mentioned but I have noticed I am sensetive to products that are more drying. Remember cologne has alcohol which is very drying. I spray it on my collar now and have changed to fragrance free detergent and soaps. When you wash your hair make sure you rinse your back well to get all the shampoo and conditioner off your skin. Don't give up Mandy! Feel better,

Sally

• Posted

Hi Sally,

I was on plaquenil from Feb until last Thursday, I have now stopped taking it after confirming with the Dr that the medication was the cause of my muscle pain. I only have Primary Sjorgrens according to the RA.

Thx Mandy x

• Posted

So according to your Dr Plaquenil can actually induce muscle pain?
    • Posted

It certainly did mine! I hated hydroxychloroquine I wouldn't take it again
    • Posted

This is all very good to know. I am debating beginning Plaquenil. I keep on staring at the bottle of pills and find myself terrified to take one.
    • Posted

Hi Shira,

Dr in the UK do not like to admit that this medication causes muscle pain. So I went to my American Dr and he confirmed that it can. On Thursday when I went to the Dr my muscles in my legs were killing me, I stopped taking the medication on Thursday and by today the muscles that were hurting me are no longer hurting. So I believe also the medication was the problem. It also caused problems with my eyes after taking the medication within 45 minutes I was having trouble focusing when trying to read. This is a known side effect of the medication. So I certainly will not be taking it again.

Thx Mandy x

• Posted

Wow...this is such important info, thanks Mandy!

Glad to hear all your symptoms ceased upon stopping the meds!

• Posted

Shira

There are numerous Reports on the net saying the same.

• Posted

Shira

Sorry I eplied to Pam instead of to you . I just wished to say that there are extensive reports and comments on the Net confirming that hydroxychloroquine causes muscle pain. I am unsure if it is ppart of the quinolone family which have damaged thousands of people.

• Posted

Hi Mandy

Thanks fr this info.

It has also been my experience that many but not all doctors appear very reluctant to disclose the side efects of drugs!

I do not know why this is the case.

Of course antibiotics can cause serious muscular problems especially the flouroquinolones.

• Posted

Unfortunately it seems all the systemic meds available for our condition have possible serious side effects...sad
    • Posted

HI Mandy

What medication at you taking now for Sjorgrens syndrome? How long have you  had it for and how did it start?

Did you get pains/burning sensations in your legs?

Had you had an infection? Have you been exposed to the EBV glandular fever virus? How long was it before you received a diagnosis? What blood tests etc were done in order to make the diagnosis?

Thanks.

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.