Sjorgrens syndrome diagnosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have suffered from aching joints and fatigue for a long time. I had lymphoma over 15 years ago and have an under active thyroid, type 2 diabetes, oral lichen planus and more recently a B12 deficiency and suspected Raynaud's. My aching joints and fatigue have always been diagnosed as a side effect of my other conditions.

I have had itchy/gritty/burning eyes for a long time, about 12 months ago it got a lot worse and my right eye started to droop and close by itself, I also suffer from swollen lymph nodes under my jaw, under my ear, my collar bone and a very dry mouth.

I was sent for a biopsy on the lymph nodes in January to rule out anything cancerous which where all normal.

I was referred to the eye clinic as the optician noticed inflammation in my eyes and was diagnosed with severe dry eyes. I am using eye drops every hour, a gel at night and have had punctal plugs fitted to help with my eyes. The eye doctor suspects I have Sjogren's syndrome and waiting to see a rheumatologist but the waiting list is long so I expect to be a while before I am seen.

My GP has done some blood testsfor Sjogren's which has come back normal and my ANA was negative this time, I had another ANA test around 5 years ago which was positive so I am unclear on which is accurate, I do believe you can have a false positive test.

My GP has advised that I dont "look like the typical person with Sjogren's" but I am not sure what this means?

Is it possible to have normal blood tests with Sjogren's?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I know this is an old post, and I hope you have things sorted out, but for anyone else reading:

Yes, it is not only possible to have negative blood tests, it is fairly common.

For further information, have a look at the Sjogren's Advocate website, or see the lecture entitled "Sjogren's: The Second Most Common Cause of Dysautonomia" on the Dysautonomia International channel on YouTube. (It covers SS in general before looking at the autonomic aspects.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.