Skarf Akin/9weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am now much more mobile and driving an automatic so I am getting outmuch more, which is great. I started swimming and have found this really helpful for getting back in shape after lounging around for so long. I have been 5 times in the last 8 days but only for 20 mins each time so nothing strenuous. I still elevate my leg for big chunks of time when possible and put it up for the evening once I'm home.

I am mainly wearing sandals with adjustable straps and a padded bottom or crocs but if I'm going somewhere crowded I wear my old Velcro Shoe and take a crutch to fend people off! I'm trying to walk 'normally' though not always sucessful! I have three things concerning me...

1. Every morning I have a really uncomfortable tight tendon feeling all the way up from my heel to the back of my knee, it has me hobbling around for a while until I can streatch it enough to stop being uncomfortable - a few minutes usually. I haven't read of anyone else having this so am wondering if its normal part of recovery?

2. I am getting all kinds of other aches and pains up my spine/back and even at the base of my skull, I presume it is my body getting realigned to the new foot position? (but not sure)

3. My big toe seems to be able change direction from really straight to almost where it was before the op. This happens at different times of the day and possibly due to how much walking or what footwear I have on or if its swollen- but either way it seems loose!!! shoult I wear a toe spacer. Has anyone else had this?

I was thinking I should get some physio but not sure if it will really make a difference, especially as I can't affford to spend money unnessessarily...

Thank you, Bunion Free people for you help!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stella, I'm the same time as you, tight ache pain in calf in morning, sometimes whole day.  I get the aches and pains all over my body but mainly in my back.  I too out all this down to the body realigning to the changed position of metatarsal.   My big toe has always been able to move towards me but only recently move towards the floor and that is with the other toes.  And only slightly compared to other toe.

I haven't done as much exercise as you, I did try swimming last week and it gave a really funny sensation to my toe.  Also last week I spent enjoyable time with my teenage grandchildren so did lots more walking and sitting without raising my foot.  So this weekend I've had to raise it high and rest, as the swelling is really bad, the whole foot especially the ankle and it is very uncomfortable.   

I need to get back to a pattern of exercising and resting with foot raised again.   Wish I knew why our feet swell up so much; I know the feet are the last post and so fluid builds up here but why now it doesn't normally happen without the op.  Maybe drainage system blocked?

• Posted

Yes I think it is a blockage - you can have lymph massage on your foot and that will help (the drainage point is actually behind you knee which is why you ankles will also swell up. I cant recommend this because it might not suit you but I also too Cleavers in liquid form which is really good for lymph drainage (you can get it at Holland and Barratt). I'm sorry your getting the same aches and pains as me but selfishly its also reassuring! x
    • Posted

Hi, I couldn't find Cleavers liquid at Holland and Barratt, in fact the assistant hadn't heard of it, nor could she find it when she looked it up.   Anyway, I found a Aqua Ban tablet with Clivers herb, this is also Cleavers, but the tablet contains burdock root and ulva ursi leaf as well.  Thing is in just two hours of taking two tablet it's worked!  My foot is the slimmest it's looked in 9 weeks!  It feels better and I'm hoping this is the remedy.  However if you know of Cleavers product without the added contents I would like to know please.  The ulva leaf doesn't look good to take for more than month.
  • Posted

I was getting sharp pain in my heels radiating up,  so I think this is fine, this has improved now.    With the pains in your spine and back I would get this checked at your hospital.  At my hospital they always said if you are worried just pop in, perhaps this is something you could do.  I think you can do your own physio and at 9 weeks I am not sure you should be doing too much other than your toe exercises.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Ok thanks Rosie! Its always good to hear from other people about these worries - otherwise I just over think everything and blow it out of proportion!
  • Posted

Hi Stella

I had my operation 12th December 14 and have experienced lower back pain and calf and thigh pain since. However you are correct in your assumption that it's to do with change of gait. I have just had 4 sessions of physio over 4 weeks, the physio said the discomfort is coming from the opposite side to the operated foot. The treatment has made a massive difference.

I have just bought a pair of trainers with a raised arch and started walking again. Trying for 30 minutes a day to start and also swimming. I have lost so much muscle definition in my legs! I recommend the physio but check with your consultant first. Good luck and hope you soon feel better.

• Posted

Thanks Sandra! Am sorry you are still having these challenges after so many months - its such a long haul, eh?
  • Posted

Hi Stella, I did not have a bunion op but a 2nd Metatarsal op.  I too have found the back of my leg gets tight and can hurt some days up to the back of my knee.  I did go to a physio via my doctor to see if i could have some exercises to do.  I do these most days but especially in the mornings. I cannot bend my toe at all now because it is fixed with screws which is sometimes quite weird.  When I stand it goes flatter to the floor but when I sit it tends to stick up a bit.  Swimming is good for the aches and pains you get with walking oddly etc.  I had a dislocated toe that is shy I had the op and it kept going over my big toe with swelling on the top of my foot.  I am approx 6 months now and have been told that 12 months is roughly the healing time.  We are all different tho, some days I feel I have got back to normal and then I have a few days of aching again, very strange.  Good luck with your recovery. X
    • Posted

Yes isn't that strange how some days you can even forget you've had an op, then another day it all returns - swelling aches and pains.  I am beginning to think that when I feel good I overdo it and so it returns with a vengeance!
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, I went to a pain management course from December 2014 for 6 weeks.  They stressed that is what we all tend to do. Over do it on the good days. We should learn to pace ourselves not do all and everything on the good days and then spend the next 2 to 3 days in pain.  Easy said than done tho, because we do all want to get back to normal.  I have noticed that at roughly the same times of the month I can feel the uncomfortableness more than others and I think it is when I am tired or just had enough of being strong!!!! If you know what I mean? X
    • Posted

Thanks for that Carol.  I am 9 weeks, feels more like three months, I should learn to slow down on the good days, but when it first happens you think 'wow, I'm improved, it's all over!' But now I've experienced a couple of these highs and lows, I'm going to pace myself, maybe even put a program together, so I know what rest and activities I'll do each day.  Hopefully that will work. X
    • Posted

That sounds good Barbara.  I think as women we always try to do too much whether we are ill, recovering from ops etc. or just in general.  Someone as put something up today who is 12 months on which is worth reading, because it is a long recovery and she put a light at the end of the tunnel xx
    • Posted

After all I wrote yesterday what did I do today, loads of housework and my foot swelled up again.  I had to raise my foot at 90 degrees for 15 mins and massage in foot bath to reduce the horrid tight feeling.  Decided to go to Holland and Barrat, as advised by Stella.  Couldn't find the Cleavers liquid and the assistant didn't know what I was talking about!  So I looked through the shelf with dueretic tablets and found Aqua Ban which includes Clivers which is known as Cleavers, but this also has burdock root and ulva ursi.  Well I've taken two tablets and already my foot is not swollen !! Wow!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.