Skiing after TKR.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am recovering from my first TKR 8 wks on. All going well and having other knee done at the end of March. Does anyone know of people who have skied after TKR. I am thinking about the future not intending to consider going again for a few years until my knees are completely better. I was a reasonable safe skier, who enjoyedrmainly red runs . Any other skiers out there ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

don't know about skiing but a friend of mine had both knees done and has hiked up snowden, scare fell pike and snowmobile many times.

thats what I'm hoping I can do again in the future confused

• Posted

I think it'll be up to you to decide!  I'm not a skier but can say that having recovered from 2 TKRs, I'm terrified of slipping when it is icy or there is snow on the ground. I would struggle to get up andwould be scared ofdoing any damage.

Best Wishes for your next op. GoodLuck with whatever you decideto do. x

• Posted

My booklet says to consult with the surgeon befor skiing. I would love to but I know I'm not going to. I'd be to afraid f doing damage. 
  • Posted

I'm from Colorado and have skiied all my life.  I spoke to my surgeon on Monday and he said just to evaluate the risk.   I used to be an aggresive skiier but now (at 57) I will be overjoyed to just cruise the blues and make sure my equipment is adjusted for a quick release.   Going to really work the legs and drop 10lbs too and then see how it feels...   Best of luck!!!  I'm excited too!
    • Posted

Thank you for your views. I will talk to my consultant after my next op. I would love to ski in U S A again. Mainly skied in France recently and Europe. But did go to Stowe in Vermont in 2000 , fantastic memories.
    • Posted

More Ice and very hard pack In the East.   Come out and ski Vail, Copper, Mary Jane,  A-Basin (where I grew up) and many more in February when there is a lot of light powder (If knee can do it).

I have not been overseas let alone skiied there...  Anyway.... hope you heel enought to get back on the boards even if you have to tone it down. That is my intent but I will see how the legs are in a 8 months and go from there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.