Skill-IQ test on NHS for Young people with ASD and Learning Difficulty

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I have a 14 yr old son with Autism and Learning Difficulty. He goes to Special school. He has few demonstrable skill which may help him for possible employment/training/ apprenticeship with supportive employers in futute when he leaves school. I heard there is less known IQ/Skill test services available in NHS to measure up this specific skill sets in Autistic/ Aspergers and similar conditioned children/young people to prepare  them for the adult working world.

Do any body  knows about this type of assessment process in NHS or elswhere including with National Autistic Society(NAS) or similar. We are doing our best to prepare our son for the adult working world as we want him to be best self reliant and not to be a burden on his family, community/society or  NHS or the State.

Please can anyone help?

Cheers.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mohammed

Your best bet is Autism UK or their local service, e.g. autism west midlands. Had he applied for PIP and are you an advocate for him? If aged 18 he can apply to Access to work - the number is easy to find on a website. The citizens advice bureau will be able to help you. Skills assessments are difficult to come by without paying, but you could try getting him referred to an educational psychologist. He is eligible for automatic interview because of his disability.

• Posted

Hi Mohammad, When speaking to PIP if your son is unable to manage paperwork and you want to become an advocate for him, you need to speak to DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) about becoming an 'Appointee' then all paperwork will come to you and can be completed on his behalf.

?If you decide to claim PIP (and it can be an invaluable source of income to support independent living), google PIP and ME there is lots of information about how to complete the form, i.e. what the questions are asking etc. There is a scoring mechanism you will need to understand.  PIP is based on Activities and then sub-categories within those activities called 'Descriptors'. This all sounds complicated but isn't if you have a look at it. See which of the descriptors (i.e. descriptions) best describe your son. When I did the form, I put 'See attached sheet' and for each activity I explained what my daughter could and couldn't do.  In the PIP jargon, I 'described the effect my daughter's disability had on her when she tried to do each of the activities'. Citizens Advice bureau will help you make a PIP claim. It is good to have medical evidence of the medical condition that your son has and if possible a psychiatrists report. Has your son seen a psychiatrist? I've come across some really good ones. Have you read about other health conditions that often exist side by side with Autism?  This is known as co-morbid. Anxiety and depression are two and need to be addressed as soon as possible to have the best chance of helping. I too have found Autism West Midlands brilliant. Depending where you live, there are local groups too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.