Skills, excerises, copping, advice to convince yourself your not going crazy during a panic attack

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last night I didn't have a panic attack but severe anxiety over feeling I was going to go crazy. I believe my trigger was from earlier in the day when I saw a woman with definite psychosis, talking to her self, punching herself in the stomach, etc. I felt bad for her...but I believe that was my trigger for my anxiety later on last night. I thought to myself she had to have started with panic attacks like me that made her feel crazy, then she went crazy.

Can anyone that's a veteran of anxiety and panic attacks help me with some coping skills, phrases, exercises, and stories of experiences of feeling like your going crazy but never actually going?

Thanks everyone for their help. I've posted many discussions asking for help, I appreciate everyone's patience. Thanks again.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your not going crazy, all of us on here suffer anxiety, panic attacks, some worse than others but all feeling the same as you do.

Unfortunately i cant tell you how to get through this, wish i could, its an awful illness.

You say about self help techniques, I downloaded several free recordings of meditation, hypnosis to end anxiety and sleep recordings,

Worth a try, i find they do help, especially the sleep one.

There is also a method called tapping, which helps to calm you down, google tapping for anxiety, I have used it, when I watched it I thought that wont work, but as I followed the

Instructions, I realised my anxiety attack had stopped. Hope you find this helpful best of luck

• Posted

Thank you very much for your input , I'll Google tapping and try it out.

• Posted

Hi Joel, believe me you are NOT going crazy I had the same feelings as you last year I thought I was loseing my mind" my mind and thoughts were rushing around in my head. It's anxiety not madness people who are mad do not no that they are mad or that there acting strange.... People with anxiety feel like there going mad but the fact that we no these feelings are wrong tells us that we are not going mad or crazy. Please believe me there just nasty feelings nothing more go with them don't fight them nothing bad will happen to you. Here if you need to talk Maxine

• Posted

She had something else. You wont go crazy from an anxiety disorder its an overstimulated fight of flight thing. The worst scenario from this is mental exhaustion from which you would recover so dont worry about that. It was only changed over to to be label as mental illness in the last 15 years it used to be behavioral/emotional because it from a different part of the brain. So no that wont happen to you. 

the best coping skills is to actually get therapy and cbt and understand everything anout it. That way it will lower your urge to feed into it.  Its a mal function in its essence of your fight or flight. Learn about the science of it and what actually happens. Its horrible and debiliating at times but manageable most of the time.. .if you do not  fear the fear. I sent you links i cant post them on here it will go to moderation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.