Skin Abscess - Incision & Drainage - Antibiotics Side Effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I recently was referred by my GP into hospital to have an incision & drainage procedure to a skin abscess. All went well and was prescribed Co-Amoxiclav as part of the healing process.

However, since starting on Co-Amoxiclav, I started to develop extremely severe and painful headaches (much worse than a migrane) and ended up vomiting from the head pain. They told me to stop taking the antibiotics so I have. A couple of days later and while the head pain has improved (albeit slowly), it has not completely gone. The doctors seemed very surprised by the side effect as apparently it's not known to be caused by that specific antibiotic. Should I be worried about this and why did I have this reaction (is it possible it could be getting caused by something else - i.e. infection from the abscess or something from the procedure)?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

And how long before the reaction I had should completely wear off?

• Posted

I am in the same situation as you, felt very very poorly, ended up being took by ambulance to a and e and said my infection levels was only up slight, they sent me home with nothing, following morning I woke with skin abscesses, I've around 13 on my arms, 5 on legs 1 on face, 48 hours after I'm worse and heart racing call 111 fir advice and a ambulance is sent, thus time they was very good, done bloods and urine tests and said I've a bacterial infection, I'm on the same antibiotics and they cause terrible side affects, its only been 48 hours and I still feel very bad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.