Skin breakdown TKR wound

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm 5 weeks post TKR, doing OKish. My wound was clean and dry and looked nicely healed, but wearing clothes is very difficilt because everything I wear rubs the wound raw. It's just because it's in an awkward place, but yesterday I tried to ignore the pain and keep going, so now my wound is bleeding and reopening in places.

I've put on a dressing and shall take care of it, but I live in Scotland and this is the coldest time of year. Bare legs and shorts are NOT an option!

Sounds trivial compared with some of the problems of others here, but has anyone any tips on protecting a fragile scar in such an exposed site, please?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

From what WatchManager said...."You will always have a numbness on the out side part of your knee. It won't hurt, just feels numb."  Not everyone will have numbness forever, some get over it. It just depends on the person and how well the nerves heal. As for clothing rubbing on the incision, I wore sweats for at least 2 1/2 months because I couldn't stand anything touching my knee. That and the fact the staples would get caught on everything else. Glad you got your wound looked after and the antibiotics do their job. Take care and remember this is a bitch of a surgery and a long road to recovery. One day at a time will get you through.  I had my TKR last April and I've seen the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. The surgeon wasn't kidding when he said it would take the better part of a year or even better to get back to normal. Good luck from the States.

• Posted

Thanks to everyone. There's real wisdom snd experience here and I find it so helpful when I don't understand what's happening to me.

The antibiotics do seem to be doing something and sensitivity tests should be in tomorrow. The pain is much better. I felt like howling, tearing my clothes off and vomiting yesterday, but today I could manage some decorum. Plus a lot of sympathy for anyone I encounter with cellulitis in future!

• Posted

Hi

Apart from the infection which is terrible and is holding you back at the moment. I have found that, both myself and a lot of others on this forum go through a weepy stage about the time you are are at now.

The 'weeps'  are the stage  when nothing seems to be getting better and no matte what you do just seem to stay the same or get worse.  Been there!

Coming on this forum helped me a million times over! All who care, and we all do, will try to comfort you and make you see that its just a stage you are going through.  Its okay to feel miserable and feel like screaming.  Patience is a great virtue so they say but we all have had to come to terms with the fact that we need it.  There is no quick fix. You just have to do the work ( take our painkillers, stretching, icing, drinking plenty of water and massaging), you will get there.

My thoughts are with you.

best wishes

Ann

The Irish One

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.