Skin cancer doctor refused me to go to dermatologist

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello people, I am a bit of a sticky situation I am skin type one, I burn burn burn in 10 mins within the sun I never tan but as a child on holiday i stayed in the shade so Me being silly I got a Sunbed to see how much I could potentially tan.

I have a lot of moles and I burnt everyday for around 25 mins sometimes twice A day every two days even though bulbs was second hand and m not as strong so I thought this would be the equivalent of around 15 mins brand new bulbs, anyway a month later I got rid of it, then I left it 7-8 months then went on holiday since but me being naive and not even knowing about skin cancer I said to my doctor everything I write here, but she wouldn't refer me I did ask for all my 20 moles to be checked she said it doesn't work like that is this normal do they not do a biopsy on all moles she did say if anything gets worse be vigilant but I said my birthmarks got darker and I have a two 3 different coloured moles and she said if it gets worse be vigilant and keep an eye on your back but it's very difficult, I don't look at my back everyday and I can't see it very well and it's been around 6-8 months so Is this negligence due to me saying my birthmarks changed colour and I got different colour moles?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Most gps are very aware of skin cancer. If they have any doubts they would send you to dermatology.

If you are so worried see if you can get a private referral to dermatology for a all over body check up.

Mike.

• Posted

If you are aware that you have incredibly sensitive skin, one must ask why you thought it would be a good idea to go on a sunbed in the first place? You need to take greater care of your skin and take precautions when you do go in the sun and liberally apply Factor 50 sun cream. If you are that concerned about your moles, you will need to consider a private dermatologist if your doctor will not refer you.
    • Posted

Your right but I was very naive I didn't even knew skin cancer existed to be fair as silly as it sounds, I wasn't educated on this subject because I never really liked the sun, I wore sun cream not to get burnt for pain reasons not cancer.

• Posted

Hi Jay, I hope you're doing well... may I suggest you see a different Doctor, from experience I can tell you now that some GP's don't know much about Melanoma! I saw 2 different GP's regarding my moles the first one told me she wasn't sure and I had to watch it.. the second referred me right away. It's a 2 week wait but I was so anxious I took the referral and went private 2 days later.. if you know something isn't right kick up a fuss .. don't watch and wait for something to happen.. Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.