Skin condition and copd

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband has very severe copd - his medication is foster, salbutamol and spiraea.  His skin on his face and neck has large spots that do not have a head.  Doctor has given antibiotic cream. Does anyone else suffer from this.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I take salbutamol and  spiraea I do do not have large spots but I suffer from itchy flakey skin and I also have been given the antibiotic cream . My gp said it is the side effect of salbutamol . Hope this helps
  • Posted

You must be talking about Spiriva, which can cause a fairly severe alergic reaction, which is what I suspect is happening. An antibiotic cream seems a pointless tactic.

If your husband is still getting breathless or having flare-ups even when taking long-acting bronchodilator inhaler (salbutimol), your GP may suggest including a steroid inhaler as part of your treatment.

A better one of those is Symbicort, which is a combined steroid and long-acting beta-agonist, but be warned, going onto steroids is pretty much a last resort, and best avoided as long as possible.

• Posted

No I don't get this skin reaction from any of my inhalers,  not from ventolin, spiriva, qvar, oxis.  

Things to consider;

- any other newly prescribed medication if the skin reaction has showed itself since starting it.  (check info leaflets that come with the medicines prescribed)..

- food allergy, something he ate that he doesn't normally eat.

-  different washing powder

- something new recently, a scarf, supplement etc

- different after shave, soap, cream, something that he's not used previously etc.

It would be helpful to find out what is the actual cause so he can avoid it in future.

Sometimes when peoples immune system is not in good shape rashes can appear for no apparent reason.

Hope the precribed cream helps his condition.  

• Posted

Recently it has become clear that an extraordinarily high percentage of inhaler users do not correctly use their device, and this is due to lack of training or inability to correctly synchronise breathing and pressing the button.

The result is the medicine is being swallowed and not getting into the lungs at all. It is possible that your husbands symptoms are due to exactly that problem. Fortunately there is a simple solution. Ask the GP to prescribe a SPACER, which is a smallish or large plastic tube. In both types, there is either a whistle if you inhale too fast, or a clicking as a valve opens and shuts as you breath through it. Neither type requires any learning or skill, and an even greater advantage is you can see the medication is coming out. I am sure you know how, with the 40-year old design it can easily happen that there is still propellant but no medicine, or medicine but no more propellant. Both dangerous situations.

Well said Vee2 on the list of potential irritants too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.