Skin crawling, minimal rash, minimal pain - Shingles?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 51 and I developed a mild rash on my neck area.  The bumps are tiny and a little rough and the bigger ones radiate in a line along the side of my neck.  It is sensitive to touch, itchy, burning and at times feels like my skin is crawling or sweat is trickling.  Sometimes I have pins and needles feeling and one evening I had pain radiating into my jaw but that didn't last long.  The tingling, sensitivity, skin crawling sensation is maddening.  Previously over the years, I have 7-8 bouts on a different area on the back of my shoulder on the same side of my body.  This would start with some itching for a day or so then a burning sensation straight to the bone which is very painful.  Only once did I have an eruption in this area and the main symptom was the deep pain.  I have had this recent rash for a couple of weeks following some intense stress which included the death of one of my best friends, my young cousin diagnosed with a pancreatic tumor and unnecessary family drama which has left half of my husband's family not speaking with one another.  Can this rash be shingles, even though I don't have blisters or the deep nerve pain??  I can't really afford a Dr visit, not to mention it is flu season and I don't want to be exposed.  Also after this length of time, would drugs even be helpful?  Thanks so much!!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Lightworker, my condolences re the death in your family. Sometimes it tends to bring out the worst in people. Hopefully time will heal the discord. 

Re your rash and pain, I am not a physician but I am an RN recovering from shingles as we speak. I cannot tell what you have going on in your body. But perhaps , the following may help.

* if you have had this two weeks the antiviral medicine would not help at this point

* I don't know where you live but most towns have free clinics available. You might try calling your local hospital to see if they have a free clinic where you could be seen or make a recommendation

* in case the rash is shingles, it should look more like blisters which will eventually pop and dry up. Try to avoid touching them as that will cause virus to spread

* if you have blisters you are contagious during that time to anyone who has not had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine

* pain relief is difficult without seeing a Dr but Advil, Alleve, Tylenol and the topical patch or ointment Lidocaine may help. I have also used ice packs to numb the pain

I hope this helps and you will soon feel better. 

• Posted

Thank you for your response.  I have pretty much decided it is not shingles, and after 3 weeks, there's not much point in going to the doctor since it seems to be getting better.  I appreciate the time you took to comment!!

• Posted

Hello , oct. 2016 was my 2nd  time with shingles. And when I was relaxed I also felt like my skin was crawling. It’s a scary sensation. The 1st of Nov. my docter scheduled a blood test , which he wants every 2 years . Everything normal in 2014 ,, But this test showed I had CLL a type of leukemia. CT scan and a lot more special blood test that confirmed docter”s diagnosis. The skin crawling for me was not from shingles, I had leukemia. They claim it is not cureable, just treatable . I found natural fruits that killed my leukemia. Granabana & Tamerind , They both have antiviral property. So they really help with shingles. Enough about me , You need to see a docter , It’s apparently there is a reason for a weak immune system. I feel mine was weak from my surgery diet. The hardest thing for me was to cut surgers, Natural surgers in fruits and organic  juices are ok to me. I no longer worry about cancer or shingles. There is a lot too healthy  eating

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.