Skin marks easily

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,recently diagnosed with overactive thyroid,does anyone else's skin mark up really easily ? Any time I play with the dog,if his nail catches me,I end up with big scratch marks that don't seem to go away as quick as they used to.just wondering if this is normal for overactive thyroid.

Thanks,

Mark.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark

Wow. That used to happen to me years ago  pre-hypo and hyper thyroid!  I was going through a lot of stress and I figured it was some sort of hive reaction. The read line followed any shape of scratch mark then eventually disappeared. Mine might have raised a bit. Does yours raise at all?

• Posted

Hi jayvalle,yes they are slightly raised,and can some times stay for a few hours,I have my own business and am stressed a lot,so this might be part of the reason why it is happening,my hands and feet are freezing all the time,which is obviously the opposite symptoms for hyper,it seems that I get symptoms of both hyper and hypo at the same time.i am taking carbimazope at the moment aswell,it could just be a reaction to that.
    • Posted

I just looked up the med and a side effect can be rash or hives. What I used to get looked like hives and lasted a short time. If I scratched my arm the scratch mark would form a raised red bump or line in whatever shape I scratched. Sounds similar. I was under incredible stress but not on hypo or hyper meds.  I was hypo-ish got nodules -  now I'm considered hyper and I don't have hyper symptoms. I have hypo symptoms. Yes to the cold feet. And I'm tired at times. 

I would definitely ask your doc if it could be from the med. Did it start after you began the carbimazole? 

• Posted

It has only really started to happen since starting on carbimazole,i no everyone gets different symptoms,just now finding out I am hyper,it takes a lot of getting used to,my body feels all over the place the last 5 weeks,a lot of my symptoms may be down to the carbimazole,trying to bring my levels down.
  • Posted

Your skin might bruise more easily because the number of platelets is reduced. This can be a symptom of hyperthyroidism and/or a side effect of Carbimazole.       
    • Posted

Hi danr,I don't seem to be bruising,just more skin blemishes,it could just be down to the carbimazole or just poor blood circulation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.