Skin problem on scalp

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a problem with the skin on the crown of my head.  I have had it for a few years and it just doesn't seem to want to go away.

The immediate area is sore and the hair is brittle and has snapped off giving me a small bald patch. Where the hair is trying to come through at the folicle - it's all split.

The area around the bald patch has a kind of yellowed apparance, is flakey and sometimes gets what feel like spots or blisters on it.

My wife says the area appears to glows greenish/blue under blakclight which looking online sometimes indicates a fungal infection (my athletes foot certainly does).

I have been to the doctor over it a couple of times over the years - but each time they have dismissed it with only a cursory glance.

I have taken an image of the area - can anybody shed any light as to what it could be?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Athletes foot can spread to the head if you have it somewhere else such as your feet and you perhaps scratched your head after touching the affected area. Ask your pharmacist if he can recommend something for your skin problem, he is free, you can see him immediately and you don't need an appointment. He probably knows more about drugs than your average GP! 
  • Posted

I was going to ask whether it is ringworm, which is also a fungal disease.  And, I agree about the local Pharmacist.

• Posted

I thought that too after looking up the symptoms.  The NHS website says that if it is scalp ringworm - it needs drug treatment as creams and shampoos are ineffective.  Can the pharmacist prescribe anti-fungal drugs though - I thought only GPs can do that.
    • Posted

The pharmacist will probably know as much about drugs as your GP, probably more! If you cannot get the product over the counter he will tell you and you can then go to your GP for it, my local pharmacist has done that in the past.
    • Posted

It is probably best to see your GP.  You can buy some anti fungals otc but possibly not in the correct strength.
    • Posted

I have brought this up with my GP probably three or four times over the years I have had it.  Every time they have simply dismissed it as "nothing" without examining it properly.  They didn't even use blacklight on it - which I understand is the standard diagnostic tool they use to identify ringworm elsewhere on the body - especially in babies.  My granddaughetr had ringworm when she was about 6 months old and this is the diagnotic tool they used on her - they treated her for it.  The next time I saw the doctor I mentioned this - and even suggested that I could have been the source - but again it was dismissed without examination.
    • Posted

I would see a pharmacist as Mrs Mop suggests. No waiting for appointments, probably more knowledgable than GP about ointments and drugs, also if you need a prescription you will know what to ask for.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.