Skin problems as possible side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was put on Ramipril (5mg), Atenolol (25mg) and Simvastatin (40mg) following a mild heart attack in 2004. In 2005 I had a quad bi-pass and the medication remained at the same levels.

I have exercised with regular walks and overhauled my diet. I was taking glyco-nutrients and I take serrapeptase plus vitamins.

I have had some side effects Im sure, aching joints, muscles and stomach problems but nothing that really was a cause for concern.

Nine months ago, all that changed. I had a new kitchen fitted and the doors were heavily coated with lacquer, to the extent that for two months following the fitting, I still had to open windows and doors to let the fumes out. The week after fitting, I was at work and I felt a slight burning sensation on my cheeks. The first affected areas after that was my forehead and nose, then around the eyes. I started getting burning sensations at time during the day, but never a day was missed. The doctor diagnosed dermatitis and prescribed creams which were no use and simply reddened my skin.

Nine months later its still the same and the doctor refuses to believe its the medication.

I am convinced there was a trigger ie the fumes, and although the fumes are no longer present, the psychological effect when in the kitchen seems to bring on irritation, however, I strongly believe that one of the medications is responsible for the continued skin irritation.

Only the face and neck and scalp seems affected. Its not constant but there is a change in the way my skin feels now so there is always a constant reminder. The sun on my face last year was a problem, and washing seems to act as an irritant as well.

Has anyone else has experience of this type of symptom please?

*** also posted under Simvastatin

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been on ramipril(10mg) since dec 07 for high blood pressure, i have recently been experiencing the same skin irritation under my right eye, every few days i have a slight burning sensation, my under eye becomes swollen and red, after 2 days the swelling goes down but then i have dry flakey skin, just like dermatitis, once that has cleared i have a few days back to normal then it starts all over again. I must say it's starting to get me down now. I'm seeing the nurse tomorrow morning will keep you informed.
  • Posted

[quote:2f79558e03=\"Caron\"]I have been on ramipril(10mg) since dec 07 for high blood pressure, i have recently been experiencing the same skin irritation under my right eye, every few days i have a slight burning sensation, my under eye becomes swollen and red, after 2 days the swelling goes down but then i have dry flakey skin, just like dermatitis, once that has cleared i have a few days back to normal then it starts all over again. I must say it's starting to get me down now. I'm seeing the nurse tomorrow morning will keep you informed.[/quote:2f79558e03][quote:2f79558e03]Angela I have been on ramipril for 10 to 12 months after first few mths had trouble with my vision after visiting the optician 3times a week for approx 6 weeks went back to doc (initially ramipril was given as an addional tablet with co tenadon) doc changed co tenadon for bendrafluzide although i also complained about the growing patch of psorises on my leg after months of joint pain and psorises getting extreamly severe i have now stopped taking ramipril and am going for phototherapy for psorises bp is being monitored weekly i have now been off work for 6 weeks with joint pain don't wait until your skin condition worsens tell your gp about your concerns [/quote:2f79558e03]
  • Posted

My Mother has been on Ramipril and simvastatin , she now suffers from really bad joint pain inher arm / shoulder area which now has extended to her leg. over the last weekend and today she has experienced problems which seem strange to say the least in that they are not constant but intermittent . She is described as breathless and in pain to the extent that the gp has been called out , but a few hours later and she seems well if not hyperactive . she has never suffered from any bone pains in her life. i noticed a strange dermatitis type patch on her leg today which i had not noticed before and also a small mark of the same nature on her chest , also a small eliptical blister/burn type mark on her collar bone and back of her neck. she has had her property re decorated the previous week and i wondered after reading your experience about the fumes triggering this rash .is simvastatin or ramipril known to make one hypersensitive?She has also become very emotional.
  • Posted

Its interesting to see if something suddenly acts as a trigger - fumes, stress etc but I found that using creams made my facial skin redden more than usual causing embarrassment, which then added to the stress and so on and so forth.

My nose is now appearing to have Rosacea, but I hope in time this may recede if I can crack the original cause.

Tha accompaning leaflet says possible side effects could be a burning sensation and reaction to sun light. I experience both these but it could also be the other medication, as I think the list of symptoms are the same on most tablets simply to cover the commonest reactions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.