Skinoren (azelaic acid) - use every day or only when things flare up?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My GP prescribed Skinoren for my rosacea, mainly flushing, some redness and occasional papules on my cheeks.  I've only used it when I've had a flare-up of the papules, maybe for a few days, and then stopped.  My GP didn't tell me if I should be using it more often or not. Can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to be using it every day or just when I get a flare-up?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cheetah,  I was diagnosed with rosacea at tage of 60 and was also prescribed Skinoren, as well as antibiotics for three months.  I use the Skinoren every evening after washing with La Roche Posay.  Just a tiny smear on the affected areas.  I let that dry in properly and then I also put on some moisturiser, I can only use La Roche posay products now, the Rosalia range, which are very nice.  That seems to be working for me - hope it will for you too.  Just to add, I use so little of the Skinoren that one tube lasted me 11 months!!  Good luck,  Stefania
    • Posted

Thank you Stefania, that's really helpful.  I was diagnosed with it in my sixties, too.  My eyes are bothering me at the moment as well - one eyelid in particular sticks together during the night - so I'll be seeing my GP, but can't get an appointment for another three weeks.  Have your eyes been affected at all?

I'll definitely have a look at the La Roche Posay, Rosalia range, it sounds lovely.  Thank you again for your help.

• Posted

Hi Cheetah, yes my eyes are affected and I have to use an eye ointment twice a day. Have tried many, some better than others, currently on Vidisic gel. All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.