Slacked off treatment for almost 2 weeks

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I've had an awful 2 weeks, so much that I slacked off with treating my LS every night before bed like my doctor instructed me to do.

Now I'm in a panic that I'll develop SCC or ill relapse with my symptoms. Sorry if i sound a little over the top.

Has anyone done this and has there been any consequences?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I believe that there is no need to worry. I may be doing it wrong, but I only treat mine when I have a flare. If I treated all of the time, then I would have been treating it for the last twenty years or so....

Good luck!

• Posted

After the initial treatment you only need to apply a couple of times a week to keep it at bay - apply more often when you have a flare up.  According to my gynae, you shouldn't stop applying completely (you have this condition for life) but the worst that will happen if you stop completely is that you'll have a flare up.  Most important - don't worry!
  • Posted

I can only speak for myself but I have used clob when the LS flares but only for a two week period, then I ease off with like ever second day to once a week sort of thing. My doctor says that I shouldn't use steroids too often, so I just know my own body enough to know when to start and when to stop. I guess we are all different and heal differently. Don't get into a panic because I really believe that in my case, anyways, stress makes it worse. Hope I am making sense. Hugs.

• Posted

I still don't fully understand. Sorry maybe I'm dense. But when is a flareup over? I had severe itching and a white patch. The whiteness is gone but I still have frequent but mild itching....Very manageable though. So is my flareup over? I feel pretty ignorant asking this.
  • Posted

You'll know when a flare up is over.... The itching disappears. My white patches remain, but the HORRIBLE, INCESSANT itching goes away. I do have three words of advice: use lidocaine to help stop the itching on contact. It may burn for a second, but that is tolerable for me because of temporary stopping the itching. 2. I use Desitin with 40% zinc oxide. It acts as a barrier cream and the zinc, for me, stops the itching and 3. Use ice cubes to stop the itching. Of course you shouldn't apply them for very long but it interrupts the signals that say SCRATCH!
  • Posted

I agree that stress does make things worse.  I use clob only when necessary, only when flare up is bad.  My gyno also told me not to over use clob because it makes

your skin thin out so it tears. After seven years of this, I only use clob once or twice a month.  I've had two bacterial infections, like cists, under the hood of my clitoris  because I used two much clob at the begining of this disease. Although I keep myself very clean down there with rinsing from either a water bottle or shower head,

flare ups are inevitable with disease.

My regime is taking Zyrtec daily, apply ointments like A &D or Desitine. Don't use soap on my bottom.  If flare up happens, start taking Benedryl and apply a small amount of clob.

• Posted

Hi dertater, you say that you take Benedryl with a flare up. How do you feel the Benedryl is helping ?  I have been taking Benedryl at night to help me sleep when I am so itchy.  
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for the replies. I agree, stressing out probably won't help smile
    • Posted

I know a lot of doctors say that using steroids thins the skin in time but, having read many articles on steroid use, I don't think this has ever been proven and some doctors dispute that this happens.  Personally, I'd rather risk it than have the problems LS can cause.  You will learn to read your own signs and apply clob accordingly.  We are all different.
  • Posted

YIf you haven't already you should all listen to Dr Goldstein's webinair.  Details found on the second post pinned to the top of this forum.... New to Ls start here.  It will explain why they prescribe such a potent steroid to ls sufferers like us.  It takes an hour to listen to but is so worthwhile as it explains so much about this condition and its treatment.  Combine this with members experiences and you should be able to find your own treatment that works for you.  We are all different and find different things work for each of us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.