SLEEP...AGAIN...STILL!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I haven't posted for months but felt it time to ask for any new fresh sleep ideas!

I'm a menopausal, young 60 year old, who hasn't suffered too many of the debilitating effects apart from constant and acute Insomnia.

I was never the greatest sleeper but the past 10 years have been awful.  I function, but would be so grateful to achieve 5-6 hours unbroken sleep.

I've tried all the usual supplements and natural remedies but have resorted to 5mg Amitriptyline (half a blue pill) most pm's which were prescribed for bad neck/shoulder pains.  I found one pill, at least, calmed me enough to doze off and return to sleep more easily, in those dreaded early hours, but it constipated me so halved the dose, which seems ok for tummy!

I was considering some sort of oestrogen gel? I don't really need HRT for anxiety or sweats etc, but thought this may help with my sleep issues and this sometimes, foggy brain?

Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Thank you Jx

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane, while I can't say that my sleep was as bad as yours, what I noticed was difficulty going to sleep and waking up much earlier in the morning.  It was frustrating to say the least.  It wasn't until I got into vaginal atrophy and dryness and was given vaginal Estrace for this problem, that I started sleeping really well.  In fact, this was one the first things I noticed.  All of a sudden, I had to start setting my alarm again. 

Now estrogen replacement hasn't been a terribly easy thing for me.  But I am sleeping better and feel very refreshed in the morning.  

• Posted

Thank you Gailannie

I am a bit scared of taking hormones so try to eat estrogen rich foods but these obviously don't help with my insomnia!

Feeling refreshed in the morning is my dream but does this replacement cause you bad side effects?

• Posted

The majority of woman do not feel bad side effects. It possible to use a smaller amount, not the gram that is typically recommended. Probably the biggest thing you hear women complain about is they find it somewhat messy. 
  • Posted

Hi Janeben - I am 61 years old, had horrible time staying asleep in peri more so than in post menopause, but what always helped me was a product called “Calm” which is basically magnesium & I also smothered my “pressure points” in lavender & wore a lavender infused sleeping mask.  Also, very important to not have any light source in your bedroom (no TV’s computers, cell phones) & do not turn on the light if you get up to go to the bathroom! Just have a night light in your bathroom - when I used to wake up in the middle of the night I used to get on my computer....very bad! Now I find I just put more lavender on & I can fall back to sleep - also, taking a magnesium/calcium/D supplement helped me greatly - 

• Posted

Thank you Debra

I take 300mg of magnesium daily, but none of the magnesiums seem to make any difference to me.

Unfortunately, Calm didn't help either.  Perhaps taking with magnesium with calcium/D works better?

Dosage?

I do try lavender oil, but not on a mask, so I'll try that!

I'll have to google my "pressure points"!

Jx

• Posted

Hi Janeben, try a hot, milky drink before bed, made with full fat milk, and either Vanilla essence to taste or good hot chocolate powder and sugar to taste. Now the magic ingredient add 1 or 2 crushed valerian tablets to the drink and mix well. Even my dr has tried my special recipie! XXX
    • Posted

Thank you Tina

I've always been a bit scared of Valerian as it can cause foggy head in the morning, so steered away from anything which can cause that druggy feeling!

How do you react to Valerian?

How long do you drink this prior to bed?

Jx

• Posted

Hi Janeben - Have you tried Acupunture for your insomnia? It might be worth looking in to - I am in California & they have low cost clinics here which allow you to frequent the clinic often for a reasonable sum - this has been a godsend for me with all my symptoms - 

• Posted

Hi Janeben, if you tend to get a hangover with valerian, only use 1 crushed pill in the drink about 1 hour prior to going to bed. Try to organise a regular time to go to bed say 10pm or 10.30 and take drink an hour before then. Then try to get the recommended 8 hours before getting up. This should reduce the foggy feeling on waking. I dont get a hangover with valerian. It just relaxes me and helps me to sleep. Hope this is useful. XXX
    • Posted

Thank you Debra

No I haven't for sleep but did try for neck shoulder pains, without any success.  Worth thinking about though 

• Posted

Thank you Tina

I'll look into valerian, again.  Is it safe to take constantly or just for short periods?

• Posted

Hi hun, whilst valerian is a natural herbal remedy it is like any of these type of things the more you take it the more tolerance that you may build up. Some people are ok with using it on a very regular basis and continue to do so. Others find with continuous use that they have to have a break every now and then. Heres hoping it helps you. XXX
    • Posted

Thank you Tina

I will try Valerian 150mg per pill, start with one then can always increase to two.  I'm a petite woman (47k/103ibs) so have to take care with dosage as am often half the size of others!

Can I ask how much you found worked for you please?

Jx

• Posted

I am the opposite of you I am a large lady and I take 2 tablets in my drink. It just relaxes me enough so I can fall asleep and stay asleep naturally. Hope it works for you. XXX
  • Posted

Hi if you download some audible books on your phone or even some pleasant you tube videos listen to them with small earphones and you may find it works. Passionflower and hop herbal tea is also good
    • Posted

Thank you Arlette

I have tried listening to plays on Radio 4 extra!  My husband swears by listening to radio plays or World service!

Not tried passionflower and hop tea...Thank you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.