Sleep and the immune system

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just read in today's newspaper an account of the study looking at power naps for the sleep deprived. Apparently sleep will repair the damage to the hormone and immune system, caused by poor sleep patterns and power naps of

I wondered whether we should also be looking at the length and quality of sleep before and after a flare up

any thoughts?

The report was in the Journal of Clinical Endcrinology and Metabolism by Dr Brice Faraut of the Paris Descartes University 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This was the 1st study that looked at the benefit of having "power" naps of 30 minutes if chronically sleep deprived. I understood the article to say that napping could restore the bio markets of neuroendocrine and immune health to normal levels following a poor nights sleep.

the norepinephrine-a hormone and neurotransmitter involved in the flight or fight response to stress increases 2.5 times after being sleep deprived. This will increase the heart rate the blood pressure and blood sugar. However after 30 mins napping following a poor nights sleep the levels were back to normal

also affected is interleukin-6 protein which has antiviral properties in the saliva. The report suggests power naps can benefit the immune system

published in the Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism 

• Posted

Well, have you noticed that a flare up soon follows after a period of insufficient sleep?  I haven't paid attention to that aspect perse.  What is a given is that a person needs enough rest - to keep stress level and immune level at the best possible level.  And thus keep LS liveable.  
  • Posted

Hi suedm , sleep depravation  is well documented as being bad for health generally , its also the quality of sleep we get , l have noticed sometimes a  little nap makes me feel perked up, but sometimes l wake in the morning feeling groggy from sleeping to deeply . when l am stressed l can,t sleep so l can believe its a contributing facter in the LS flare ups. They have nap pods in offices in Japan and  a large global company ( l dont think l can mention its name here ) in the USA , they l would think took advice from experts before they did this , and my daughter tells me , it is making the workers work better and is reducing absenses due to illness. Winston Churchill was a famous napper and he lived to a ripe old age , he told the Queen to try it because she was weary doing lots of engagements and naps in the car between visits , she also is very fit for her age . Yes l think taking a nap is a great idea , l just wish someone could tell me how to pop off to sleep at will , l cannot do it ! any advice gratefully accepted .
  • Posted

It's hard to separate a poor night's sleep from an emotional upset. But one or the other certainly results in a new fissure for me. I've been sleeping longer since we saw a Ted talk on sleep. There's a theory that having a wakeful period in the middle of the night is normal. Instead of freaking out that we're not getting a 'solid night's sleep', we're supposed to lie there and sort of meditate till we drift off, even if it takes an hour or two. Jumping out of bed and 'being productive' is a bad thing. The same scientist was big on naps. I definitely have a nap in the afternoon after too little sleep the night before.
    • Posted

What is a Ted talk? 

I find that I sleep a lot better if I remember to take a B complex vitamin. When travelling in the outback I had horrid mouth ulcers The Itch and not sleeping too well either. Went to a pharmacist for something for the ulcers on my tongue she spotted I was travelling, insisted I took high dose of Vit B Complex which would help both the ulcer and return my sleep pattern to a full night sleep. It worked.. The canesten for TheItch didn't!

• Posted

"TED is a global set of conferences run by the private non-profit Sapling Foundation, under the slogan "Ideas Worth Spreading". TED was founded in 1984 as a one-off event; the annual conference series began in 1990." You can watch videos of these lectures on TED the site or on youtube.

I haven't taken any sort of supplement in years. However, recently I was persuaded that drinking chaga tea might help, since it seems to have played a part (along with steroid spray) in reducing my husband's nasal polyps. I hadn't tried it because it's a fungus and mushrooms bloat me terribly. Sure enough, I drank some today and have had hiccups and double gas all evening. I might try only drinking a little tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.