Sleep Apnea

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone by chance develop sleep apnea with the onset of menopause/peri menopause?

I'm considering doing a sleep study to see if this is a possibility for me.

The same day all these crazy/awful symptoms started was the same day I stopped drifting off to sleep easily. Now, as soon as I am about to drift off, I suddenly startle awake. it kinda feels like I couldn't breathe for a second. Im at a loss...I just honestly feel broken. any thoughts, please?

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jill- oh yes that is a definite possibility for me as well, a year or so ago when I Started having all the perimenopausal symptoms, my has been also noticed that I would stop breathing when I was sleeping. Then a second or two later I would snore a bit stir, wake up a bit and go back to sleep. And I’m constantly Exhausting… I went to my doctor and he scheduled me for a sleep test, but I was also in the middle of finishing my graduate degree so I put it off and have not done it yet. But I do know I’m about 30 pounds overweight which doesn’t help, so I believe that in the perimenopause  contributed to it. I just started exercising last week on a regular basis and I’m hoping to drop a few pounds. I’m hoping that does help a bit. Otherwise I really think I need to go get the test done. Sorry I don’t have any answers for you in that way, but I do relate to what you are saying.  Hang in there and don’t hesitate to reach out, someone is always here!
    • Posted

***  sorry for the errors, AutoCorrect changed husband to has been which is actually quite hilarious LOL 
  • Posted

I don’t think I have apnea but I’ve had nights where I can’t breathe catch my breath ... in my sleep . It’s like a stress sleep . It’s awful 
  • Posted

I noticed awhile back by recording myself sleeping that i snore at times.  sad

Never did i snore before.

So im thinking that there has been a change in the elasticity of the throat or something.

Maybe you are waking up from snoring and not the absence of breathing. Just a thought. If you are able to have a sleep study done, i would for sure.

I sleep only on my back, and i startle awake also sometimes, and when on your back your tongue goes back easier and blocks the air.

Do you sleep on your side when this happens?

x0x0x

• Posted

So I never actually am asleep ... it’s like I am on the verge of being asleep and then I scare awake. I may be asleep for a half of second, then all of a sudden scare awake. It’s the weirdest thing. One I do actually fall asleep (after two hrs of going through the startling of trying to fall asleep) I sleep pretty well; about 6 hrs only to wake up sometimes when I roll over... thoughts??
    • Posted

OK i see what you mean.

Yes ive had the startle feeling, its kind of like almost falling and the waking up because you startled yourself. Its like the brain isnt ready to shut off- but the muscles and body are trying to do so.

so we are trying to fall asleep but not quite letting go yet. I hate that when it happens, i noticed it happen to me more often when im really super tired.. so tired i cant sleep and i do that, im like over wired. do not like 0x0x0x

• Posted

I have had the waking up and feeling like im not breathing and I panic, it's like it takes a few seconds for me to know how to breath, it's not like im gasping on waking, just have a moment of panic

• Posted

I get this too and it terrifies me, I wake up in a blind panic, I usually leap out of bed or sit bolt upright gasping for air.  It comes and goes, and I'm happy to say I haven't had it for a while, you're not alone :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.