Sleep apnea chest abdominal pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I’m mike. I am 19 years old weighting at around 185lbs. When I was sleeping last night, I was laying down on my back. This made my rib cage stick out almost like the “vacuum pose” in bodybuilding. I then felt a weird knot or tension under my rib cage near where my top left (from my point of view) ab muscle would be. This was happening when I was half asleep. When I woke up, I heard and felt a pop at this same spot. After, there was a cold feeling going from this part under my rib cage down to my left side near my stomach. After this there was not much at all but it just felt weird. My core and abdomen feel weaker when I lay down now. I have a few theories of what it was but I’m in no way for sure. At first I thought my ribs punctured something in my abdomen such as my diaphragm or spleen. I also thought it could be a hernia, ulcer, heartburn or a heart condition such as ASD. Does anyone have any ideas?

I also have small question about my collar bone and sternum. When I was lifting for football in high school I over expanded my chest and it caused pain in my sternum. When I stretch my chest ever since that time, my sternum cracks. This is not a big deal for me but i also dislocated my left collar bone slightly. The part near my throat sticks out a little. It doesn’t bother me most of the time but I just want to if there is a way a doctor could push it back in.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mike, do you sleep immediately after eating at night? Does tension on your ribcage area only happen at night around 1am? If yes, can be heartburn. If it is, then don't lay on your back and don't lay on your left side where your stomach is located, it encourages stomach hydrocholric acid to secrete more. If this is something about your bone, X-ray can help. I attached a file and encircle the part where the pain of hearburn is usually located. It's center left.image

• Posted

thanks for the reply but I dont sleep right after i eat. This only happened once around 4am. I really just want to make sure it isnt heart related.

• Posted

Perhaps see your doctor where you will get answers. You are too young to have these worries.

• Posted

i slept fine this night so im probably fine. i just get worried if my chest doesnt feel right which could be caused more from me worrying and a friend from my high school just died from a heart attack and he was only 2 years older

• Posted

Monitor the situation and if your symptoms don't come back, leave it at that. However, if they do return or you are still worried, see your doctor for reassurance. That's the best way to resolve your anxiety. Worrying can make you feel unwell.

• Posted

You will need to speak to your doctor about that and ask for an endoscopy to rule this in or out.

• Posted

I am not a doctor and don't know anything about this. your best option is to speak to your family doctor about a collapsed lung and ask for a chest X Ray.

• Posted

i went to the hospital a few days ago and they said that I was fine. i drank some hot tea, pooped and don't feel it anymore.

• Posted

Since your symptoms have stopped; try to relax. If they come back, see your doctor again. If you have had a little constipation, take plenty of fruit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.