Sleep apnoea and AS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I was diagnosed with AS about 10 years ago and have got used to the horrible bone aspects but I've got a new niggle and wondered if anyone else out there has experienced it - sleep apnoea. It's gone on for a few months now and I'm hating waking up gasping for breath. I thought at first it was the anti-inflams but now I'm not so sure. Anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

From spondylitis.org

"A study in the journal Rheumatology, "The prevalence of obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome in ankylosing spondylitis patients", finds that, "The prevalence of OSAS in AS patients is higher than reported in the general population."

They add that the average age of AS patients with OSAS tends to be higher than those that do not."

• Posted

I have the same problem Sarah but did not connect it with my AS. I sleep with a small fan blowing on my face and use a nose spray called Atrovent.
  • Posted

No - I havent had that - it sounds very frightening although I have had a sensation as if someone were treading on my chest so it becomes difficult to breath - is that what you mean. I understood that this was due to inflammation round the lungs which is common in people with AS. On the other hand for ages now I have been experiencing really bad indigestion,bloating and stomach pains and have read that people taking NIADS on a long term basis especially those over 60 can  suffer from ulcers which causing bleeding and a sensation of fullness all the time.I am now really scared to look into this as it sounds like all the symtoms of stomach cancer.
    • Posted

I have had the "pressure on chest " experience but found it could happen at any time, feels a bit like the start of a heart attack, the hospital said it was very hard to tell the difference.

I think a lot of , probably most of , the medication given to ease the AS have this side effect of bad indigestion and possibly ulcers. In the early days of my AS my doc put me on Ibuprofen and that gave me an ulcer.More recently I have been on Morphine patches but was supplied with a bottle of something for my stomach to counteract that side effect.

I have now weaned myself off the Morphine and am using an "alternative " product called dl-Phenylaline which seems to be working for me without side effects.Still have Irisitis and a slight headache most of the time but no worse than before.

I certainly think you should talk to your doc again about the stomach problems, I am sure he can give you something to help and if it is anything more sinister ( which I doubt) it is best to find out s.a.p.Good luck

• Posted

Thankfully I don't feel like my chest is sqashed - it's as if I wake up drowning.  Still can't work out if it frightens me or hubby the most!  Somebody has just recommended Magnesium high dose supplements as being really effective so I'm off to find me some of those!

Agree with you on the bloating effects of the NSAIDS!  I have recently had bleeding which was a shock.  Went to the doc and saw a locum who was gobsmacked that I was never prescribed a special stomach protection tablet at the same time.  Given that I have been on the max dose of diclofenac daily for almost a year now I'm suprised it didnt happen sooner.  Luckily I think (touch wood) this latest flare up is coming to an end so hopefully this will all subside a bit too

• Posted

morphine patches sound quite hardcore. I was on codeine for a long time but really struggled with the naseous sensations.  Do you get that from the patches?  My flare-up is currently in my ribs and feels like someone with a sharp knife is conducting voodoo on me - the anti inflams aren't really helping this at all but I am reluctant to have codeine again

• Posted

Know what you mean.It gets you in so many ways,any part of the body that is connected to the spine and of course the "burning eyeballs-Iritis". I have not had the rib problem for a while now.I used to take real deep breaths when I had that.It ws painful but it stopped the ribs closing to tightly on my lungs and restricting my breathing which is what happened to my brother.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

lots of us especially with an autoimmune disorder have magnesium deficiency - I have been taking a supplement regularly for 20 years which has 2x amount of magnesium to calcium.

I recommend that you look in to this as there is stacks of research on Magnesium and sleep apnea.

Best wishes and hope you find something that helps!

• Posted

Oh thanks, I never knew that.  Amazing that the docs keep from you :-).  Am off to the chemist right now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.