Sleep difficulty; advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Before I start, I am well aware that I am not the only person who struggles to sleep, and don't mean to downplay anyone's condition; I'd simply like some advice.

I'm a 19 year old male, and since I was a kid (I don't remember what age, but I was really young), I've had difficulty sleeping. I remember trying to convince people that "I sleep with my eyes open" and, quite a bit later, "I don't know how to sleep" because at the time that's what I legitimately believed. It's NOT that I absolutely cannot sleep, but I struggle to get myself to fall asleep.

When I was a kid, I couldn't fall asleep, and would lie in bed until, the mental wear I guess? was enough to make me fall asleep; like until I couldn't stay awake any longer. Well, that's how I remember it, and it definitely felt like I was up at least 4 hours a night. I understand that these are the memories of a child, and not necessarily accurate.

Anyway, for as long as I can remember it's been about the same. At some point I would occasionally check the time and note the latest time I saw the next day. This showed me to be awake for a number of hours, and it seems like the number of hours has increased as I got older. At some point during matric, I really wanted to finish as soon as possible, and my school system was effectively homeschooling, so I could work at my own pace. I started working until midnight every day, and then got up at 3 A.M. to continue before going to school. This carried on for about 3-4 weeks. Honestly don't know if this was even relevant, but to me, I can't say I felt more tired than usual, and, if anything, I'd say my sleep felt more consistent/stable.

When I was younger I didn't particularly feel tired or strained. From about Grade 8 I started constantly feeling that I wasn't performing as well as I could. Currently, I always feel tired/drained.

Currently I don't work and study from home, and my pattern lately has been to go to bed at around midnight, try to fall asleep until 3-4, wake up again at 6-7, and then due to the lack of social responsibility and possibly the comfort of bed/drowsiness? I stay in bed and get broken sleep (about 30 mins every 2 hours) until after midday. The past few days my feelings have been 'Screw it, if I don't feel like I'll be able to fall asleep I won't even try' and the sleep after spending a full night after being awake is definitely easier to get into, though the broken pattern in the morning still happens, and the next day I once again don't feel like sleeping.

Honestly, I don't expect anyone to read this bloody long rant, but if anyone does, I can't say it wouldn't make me juts a bit happy. Even if you just scoff and regret the time of your life that I wasted, it's nice to listened to I guess.

On the off chance that anyone does read this, any advice would be hugely appreciated. I've searched for commercially available chloroform (and was disappointed to find the health risks), I've tried a bunch of breathing/thinking techniques, I've tried teas etc., I've tried both active (exercise) and inactive resting before going to bed, and I've tried sleeping elsewhere besides my bedroom (since I heard that sleep environment can be a factor), and haven't gotten anywhere.

• Am I being an idiot?
  • Is it due to a pattern/habit that can be broken?
  • Are there actions or patterns that would make it better or easier to handle?
  • Should I just accept it and do nothing? (though that's pretty much where I'm at)
  • Is staying up when I don't believe I'll be able to sleep a really bad decision? I.e. Should I force myself to always go to bed?
  • Others who experience this, what do you do?

P.S. Anyone who made it this far, sorry. But seriously, thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Try drinking a glass of hot adult formula milk 1 hour before sleep. It might help. If you could drink 2 glasses a day but space it out or you end up going to the toilet middle of the night.

Google how digital devices have blue light which disrupt sleep. Try install apps like twilight to switch your phone to block blue light and see if it helps. You could also try not to look at digital devices 1 to 2 hours before bed. It does disrupt your sleep. You might want to try getting a pair of block blue light glasses and wear it few hours before sleep. It will help.

Soak your feet in a small basin before bed in slightly hot water. It helps too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.