Sleep following operation

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi 

in May I had my knee done and delighted to advise that it has worked and didn’t cause me too many issues

howver in October a friend of mine had a TRK and is having an awful time.  His knee is double the size of his other one, he had had infections in, can’t move it much and is generally wrecked because of lack of sleep.  I have told him to make appt with his consultant sooner than later.  

Can anyone give me any advise to help him sleep at night please 

thanks for your help in advance 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Pain killers, elevate and ice.  Lymphatic drainage and pumping the feet. 

I didn’t sleep much after my surgery. I had had several sleepless nights, nights of discomfort and agony. 

• Posted

Hello, so sorry to hear about your friend.   I had my TKR  August 1st, and is just now seems to be settling down, with less pain.   I could not sleep for a month after the op, but after keeping the leg elevated on a cushion and using a bag of ice regularly, seems to have kept the inflammation down, which is what causes the pain.   If your friend's knee is so puffed up, it is obviously very inflamed - tell him to keep using ice, perhaps twice daily and don't forget the exercises.   I hope things do improve for him soon.

• Posted

Hi. Sounds as though he may not be resting it enough or elevating it. Get him on this forum it will be all the help he needs, we have the experience that the consultants/physio don't. This forum has been marvelous for me. Good luck to him. Sue

• Posted

Benadryl can be helpful in getting asleep if that's all you have. But, it sounds like you need something stronger. Ambien 10 MG, or restoril 15 MG repeat in 30 min of no sleep. Other great adjuncts being Xanax and Klonopin low dose. Some find Elavil 25mg helpful. For me the first month postoperatively sucks in ability to get a good night sleep. So I added  Xanax to my ambien and used my CPAP (doctors orders). I was able to sleep so much better. Of course have to be careful and not oversedate, but  the big factors are pain and insomnia. Having effective sleep is very helpful in participating in pt and daily exercises, gotta move it! Hope you feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.