Sleep I'm just not tired

Posted , 6 users are following.

I haven"t been sleeping well for the past year really but the last 3 months I have been getting 2-3 hours a night only and even then I have nightmares......  anyone else??

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yeah me too. Have you looked into sleep hygiene? You have to put a bit of effort in, and you need to do it long term, but it will help you sleep better. Creating a healthy sleeping environment is key. Doctors hate giving out sleeping tablets long term, and for very good reason, they make your sleep worse not better. So I would seriously look into sleep hygiene, and practice it for at least 12 weeks before giving it up, and preferably give it a go for 6 months. What have you got to lose? You already aren't sleeping. The short verision is this : No electronics for an hours before bed, spend time winding down, take TV's etc out of the bedroom, go to bed at the same time every night, and wake up at the same time every morning... even on weekends.

A lot of people don't bother with sleep hygiene, but the fact is, it works for 99% of people (and those it doesn't work for have medical reasons for it not working for them, and no, insomnia doesn't count lol) and it is the only long term treatment option available to insomniacs. Getting into a good sleep routine will help with the nightmares too, going to bed over stressed because you are tired doesn't make for happy dreams. It might be a bit boring, but if you want the insomnia to end this is your only option.

Let's not forget that a good nights sleep improves your physical and mental health, helps your body fight diseases, helps your body repair itself, increases concentration, makes your reaction times fasts, makes you better able to process information (smarter), even makes your orgasms better, So as I say, what have you got to lose? x

• Posted

Thanks hunni, I will look into it all.

It's hard going to bed at the same time every night when you do shift patterns but like you say what have I got to lose i'm not sleeping anyway and I like the sound of the benefits of doing this!

• Posted

Yeah shift patterns are a pain. Maybe try aiming for a set number of hours when you can't do the set times? So still try to go to sleep for the same number of hours you would if you weren't working?

And yeah I know... who doesn't want to be more intelligent! wink

• Posted

Try having a Thyroid check/blood test because this happened to me for nearly a year and every time I went to the doctors I was told nothing was wrong with me. I was even given sleeping tablets and they did not work. It took a temporary Doctor Who gave me a blood test and found out I had over active thyroid.
    • Posted

Never even thought of that to be honest! I will ask at my next doc appoitment. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Derek, did they give you meds for your over active thyroid ?  I have a slighly over active thyroid but doc said nothing to worry about.  I also had sleep problems but don't know if it had to do with my recently diagnosed tinnitus or an over active thyroid.  Any suggestions ?
  • Posted

Oh God yes - I dont get enough sleep, am always tired, but if I wake up early , cant get back to sleep, no matter how late I stayed up. I get bad dreams, and wake up with aches and pains, which do ease off when I get up and am more active. 

Sometimes I'm so tired that I lie on the sofa alot of the day - and I am so frustrated with myself, because I really want to be excercising to get healthy, but find it impossible to get the motivation.

• Posted

i always get nightmares that i want to be with my girlfriend right now
  • Posted

I just wrote a whole long post about sleep hygiene before I realised it was you lol. Have you researched it yet? Since I have seen you posting so late I presume you haven't started doing it yet so have you got a start date in mind?

No doubt you will find it helps get rid of the nightmares too, which are likely caused by sleep deprivation.

Good luck!

• Posted

Oh for goodness sake ignore me, this came up as a new discussion for some reason!!!! Sorry. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.