Sleep is all I want to do

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had anxiety and depression for over 6 years and all I want to do is sleep. I'm afraid I'm just gonna fall asleep wherever I am. I don't realize I fell asleep though and wake up thinking I went unconscious but my parents just say I was asleep. Everyday feels like a dream when I'm not asleep and I'm just so emotionally tired and drained. I don't know what else to do. I don't want to sleep the rest of my life away. But I feel that's the only thing I want to do and my body sometimes just falls asleep without my control at night.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Surely you've seen your doctor about this, Jannine?

Because if you haven't, you absolutely must go, to get a diagnosis.

love Tess x

• Posted

Hi Tess, thank you for your kind words. I've been diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Which gives me depersonalization and derealization symptoms. My doctor put me on Lexapro at 5 mg to start off with and I've been on that for a couple of days. They say it's nothing more or nothing less than this. They say it will take time but the more I try to cope with it the more tired I become :'( I can't bare through it anymore

• Posted

Darling, you CAN and WILL push through this. The Lexapro will start to work in about eight weeks, so you must give it time to work - and probably the doctor will put up your dose as you go along.

It isn't a quick fix. All the medications like Lexapro take a couple of months to work.

Let us know how you are getting on so that you get some support. Don't give up, Jannine! You've only just started treatment.

Hugs.

Tess xxxx

• Posted

So you believe this is just anxiety and depression? Nothing more? :'(

• Posted

Dearest, I don't know your full medical history - I am just going by the medicine you've been given.

Tell me what YOU think is wrong with you, honey?

• Posted

I am completely healthy. I just have a lot of depersonalization and derealization from the anxiety and depression. Which I'm assuming makes me tired. I'm completely healthy and no medical records of not being healthy. I just can't shake this dream like setting and feeling I'm going to fall asleep at any given moment. But my dad and therapist says it's all anxiety based and I have to push through it until the Lexapro kicks in

• Posted

Depression usually makes people very sleepy, Jannine. I had it a few years ago and I think I spent about 20 hours a day in bed.

I had medication which was actually making it worse, although I didn't realise it at the time. So one night I took a huge overdose of pain medication and ended up in the hospital.

I was there for many months, on the SAME medication , when I woke up one morning and thought to myself THIS HAS TO STOP. So I went to the nurses and told them I was refusing all the medication. They hurriedly sent for the doctor and he said he would gladly allow me off all of them except one - and he would taper me off that one in two weeks bu giving me smaller and smaller doses.

I had not had my period for 20 months. Three days after stopping the medication, I not only felt completely normal again, but I got my period.

I was discharged back home about ten days later. I was fine!

Three years ago I became depressed again so I saw my regular doctor. I told her I was worried about certain meds. So she put me on Lexapro.

And after about eight weeks, it worked. I felt back to normal again. I have scheduled an appointment to see my doctor and ask to come off the Lexapro gradually, under medical supervision. I am sure that I will be fine without it.

But Jannine, you do have to give this medicine time to work, ok? It isn't a quick fix.

I hope you will post again and tell us how you are doing.

Love Tess xx

• Posted

Thanks Tess, I just honestly feel like hurting myself. I'm so tired everything feels so unreal and I don't remember what I'm doing and my mind seems to get me places but I don't feel I'm doing it. Ugh I just want it to be over I'm so impatient and ready to end it all

• Posted

So was I, Jannine, and I never thought it would end.

But it did. I have been well now for many, many years, and you will be, too

Give youself some time, Jannine. You are a lot younger than I am. You have many more years of happiness to come. Just you wait and see!

• Posted

I have not experienced that level of sleepiness on a medication before, but one of my biggest symtoms of anxiety/depression were not sleeping well- up late and waking up with racing thoughts. When I got on Paxil I was able to sleep and was regulated after a few weeks with Xanax as a PRN. After a while I went off meds and was great for 6 months- the paxil side affects really did a number on me- but not to that extream. i have heard of people having hyersomnia it might be something to get checked out as well. Or narcolepsy. 

I wish you the best and send warm wishes. This isnt easy for you I am sure. But it is great you are seeking out support.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I'm glad you're hanging in there and doing better

• Posted

Hi Jannine. I too suffer with anxiety and am taking 10mg Citalopram  I had a phase when I had extreme tiredness. I thought it was the side effects of the medication but had some blood tests taken and discovered I had Vitamin D deficiency. I am now taking supplements prescribed by my GP and am slowly having much more energy. It may be worth asking your GP about this,l
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I'll ask my doctor tomorrow what they think about that.

• Posted

Low Vitamin D was something I forgot to mention, actually! Sorry, Lily........
    • Posted

My vitamin D is actually very good and I'm taking vitamins for it everyday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.