Sleep issues!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here today. I drink daily in the evening and it's gotten to a point where when I get home it starts and then all the way to bed time. I've been reading Easyway ( Allan Carr) and it's starting to make sense to me, last night I decided to half my intake which I did and felt good for it... went to bed... omg what a night. Never really got into proper sleep, body jerking awake a few times, vivid dreams that seemed and sounded so really. Up and down 5-6 times last night!! Anyone else been here, is this to be expected? How long? Thank you

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Alcohol acts like a sedative, when you remove it your brain becomes over active. Your brain is connected to your central nervous system, which is why you are having the spasms. The spasms are withdrawal symptoms and are a sign that your body is not coping with the reduction in alcohol. I would suggest that you cut down more gradually.
    • Posted

Many thanks for the prompt reply, it's nice to get a view on what's going on here. I will try and do as you suggest and withdraw slower.  Thank you

• Posted

Hi stranger!

Good to see you posting, was starting to think you’d vanished haha

Obviously great minds think alike, although your explanation is more detailed than mine!!

• Posted

Hiya sam

Welcome to the forum! You’ll get loads of non judgemental helpful advice and support here.

I would imagine you’re suffering from alcohol withdrawal symptoms. You don’t say for how long and how much your daily alcohol consumption is.

Its great that you’ve realised you’re drinking too much and are trying to reduce it. However your body has got used to a certain amount of alcohol daily and by halving your normal amount, has gone into withdrawal. Basically you’ve reduced (tapered) too quickly.

Tapering needs to be done gradually over a period of time. Very few people (myself included) manage to achieve this without medication.

Are you aiming to  become alcohol free, or just cut down your drinking. The Sinclair Method has excellent results, many on this forum have been following this method with good results. Not used it myself, but am sure you’ll get replies from those using it.

If your aim is to stop completely, acamprosate (campral) can help you. It’s an anti craving drug which you take three times a day. That is what I used and it worked well, after about a week you find you no longer keep thinking about alcohol. It resets your brain to stop wanting alcohol. I took it for about 12 months, but seven months seems to be the norm. You need to be alcohol free whilst taking it, otherwise it won’t work.

I can now drink socially and at home with my OH. I don’t drink secretively and I never drink spirits. 

I am not an expert, but I’d suggest you go back to drinking a little less than you’re used to, but if your still suffering withdrawals then drink your usual amount and seek medical attention urgently. It’s very dangerous to suddenly stop or reduce drastically

• Posted

Thank you vickylou, it's been about a year but worse over the last 6 months really, can be 1/2 a liter of vodka and soda ( phew never thought I'd ever admit that pubically) I will take all your advice as hopefully I can start to recover. Sick of feeling like I'm on my ass every morning, my partner doesn't drink so that's an incentive. I need to find a soft drink that I can drink with ice as a long drink to substitute, any suggestions? Thanks again 

• Posted

I stopped drinking and like ice cold coked or fanta. Tesco does a carbonated mango flavoured drink I. 2 litre bottles. Worth trying?
    • Posted

Now I am on the Sinclair method I now don't always choose to drink alcohol when I go out so my drink of choice then is sparking water and soda with lots of ice and lemon ..Its lush ! doesn't exactly put me in the party mood but who cares when the other benefits are so amazing .I quite like the sound on carbonated mango drink Robin 😊

• Posted

Don’t bother trying non alcoholic wine, it’s horrid. I used to make my own juices, topped up with sparkling water, still do if I’ve got my grandsons.

Use whatever fruits you like and put them in a juicer. Orange is great, apple, grapes, mangoes, papayas, any fruit which can be juiced. It can be a bit thick, which is fine in a small glass, but topped up with ice and water makes a long refreshing drink.

Lime and soda is another of my favourites. Elderflower cordial is nice for a change.

Good luck

• Posted

Very quiet here Sam. Are you asleep? Or not? How are you this week? How was your weekend? Robin
  • Posted

Quiet indeed. No replies from 5 discussions for 5 days? Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.