Sleep issues while on Ven

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all! I am currently on 2X37.5 ER tabs per day, having tapered from 2x75 ER tabs several months ago (doing pretty well). One issue I have is the feeling that my sleep quality has been poor, particularly once I return to bed from the inevitable early morning pit stop! It seems like I toss & turn for the rest of the night, but in reality, I am consistantly getting around 8 hrs of sleep each night. I discovered this encouraging fact by purchasing a fitness watch which has a very sophisticated heart rate monitor and detailed sleep quality readout. I happen to have the Fitbit Ionic, but there are many similar devices on the market. It is a comfort to me to know that I'm sleeping far better than I think I am!!

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had the same experience with a fitness watch.

Cheers

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I use my Fitbit every night. I wish I got more deep sleep and less light sleep. I take Trazadone adobe to sleep along with Effexsor
    • Posted

I average between 7.5 and 8 a night. Venlafaxine has not really effected REM sleep but maybe it’s the Trazadone.
    • Posted

Hi Lynn! I find the "benchmark" for sleep stages on the Fitbit to be useful. For me (age 75) the percentages are:

Awake - 15-33%

REM - 12-22%

Light - 40-60%

Deep - 6-12%

I am typically awake much less, and am sleeping deeply a higher percentage than the benchmark.  I mention all of this because it often feels like I am awake half the night,  when in reality, I'm  sleeping better than  average. 

Cheers

• Posted

my awake time is low, but my deep sleep is really low some nights
    • Posted

My 30 day average for REM is 18%. Do you know if REM is particularly influenced by Ven?
  • Posted

I use Apple Watch, but my readings are almost the opposite! I feel like I’ve had max 4 hrs sleep and exhausted, my watch says I’ve had even less than I felt like I’d had, yet I know I slept around 1am and woke around 9??!! 
  • Posted

How long have you been on venlafaxine. I am just starting again 37.5 5 days and 75XL for 9 days how long did it take to kick in for you for panic and anxiety
    • Posted

I've been on Ven for almost 2 yrs. Started at 150/day for about a year, then tried to taper to zero over 3-4 months. Spent a few weeks  at zero, but was irritable and impatient. Tried 37.5 for a short while, but found that I really needed 75.

It's probably different for each person, but for me, it took several months at 75 to fully stabilize. I still have an occasional down day or night, but basically doing well. Periodically, I have a few mild side effects (loose stool, issues in bed), but on balance, I really think I'm on the correct dose. I plan to try tapering to 37.5 again at some point. For me, it's a matter of balancing dose and  side effects.

I'm doing this on my own, not under  the care of a psych.

Good luck

• Posted

I guess I got awhile before I see improvement then only 15 days in and only 10 on 75mg. Thanks for your imput. Can’t believe you started at 150 and didn’t have bad side effects
  • Posted

Lloyd did it take 4  to 6 weeks to kick I ?
    • Posted

Lynn, I seem to recall that it was around 3-4 weeks for me, but everyone is different!

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.