Sleep on the side

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone able to sleep on their side after TKR. I'm at 7th week and cannot sleep on my favorite left side sleeper. My right knee is the TKR. Another thing is I read some of your post about pain meds. I have Fibro for 5 years and must stay on Norco as needed. When my knee gets in pain, my whole body goes into aching severe pain like a flu bug. How do you handle this whether you need pain meds or not.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, As you continue to heal it will get easier to sleep on your side. As time goes on, try it with a pillow between your legs. It helps a lot. Last summer I had bilateral total knee replacements and am doing well. In no time you will be sleeping on your side.
  • Posted

I found a "knee-pillow" on Amazon. It slips up your leg and covers the knee and surrounding leg with a cushiony padding. Wonderful. Search Amazonfor knee pillow.

• Posted

my right knee was the tkr. After 7 days, I was able to sleep on my left side by putting a queen size extra firm pillow beside my good leg then putting my right leg one the pillow. I was careful not to rest my leg on my good leg. I was able to do the same with sleeping on my right side. Good luck... there's nothing like a good sleep

• Posted

Hi Mona -- I also have Fibromyalgia for the last 33 years. Back them they called it fibrositis because the name Fibromyalgia did not exists. I had my TKR 8 months ago and I still cannot sleep on my side. I know exactly what you mean when the knee pain hits, the entire body gets pain. I am still taking pain killers. And at least 3 times a week I take an anti-inflammatory. The anti- inflammatory helps and I can move my knee much better. However, due to other problems I can take them everyday. I hope that you are not having much pain and soon you can sleep on your favorite side. Good luck with everything. J-21370
  • Posted

Am 12 days in and still can't, tried pillows etc but is to painful 😬

• Posted

Hi I found I got better sleep when I managed to get on my side again. I turned on operated leg pulled it up as far as it would go then stuffed duvet between my legs giving the me the cushion protecting my operated knee while operated knee stayed cool through the night with no duvet on it. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.