Sleep paralysis is at a ridiculous level

Posted , 30 users are following.

I used to have sleep paralysis every month or so, this year its gotten to every week, then every few days and now i'm having it over 4 times a night. It is literally impossible for me to sleep at night and I am only able to fall sleep at stupid times like 9 the following morning.

I am genuinely scared and definitely need to see a doctor but I can't do that until Monday, I am scared my brain is actually damaged. I get a rushing noise like wind in my ears when I close my eyes and pressure and loud noises. It's horrible, I can't deal with it anymore.

I need some advice, is it my diet, my sleep pattern or what? Please anything would help until I can get to a doctor on Monday, thanks.

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, I suffered from sleep paralysis for years, then I got divorced, never had it since.

My point is it is probably something wrong in your life. Jenny

• Posted

I'm 19 years old, happy and just starting university, I don't think it's anything to do with that but thank you.

Think my lifestyle is the problem, going to take it easy for a while. Sort out my sleep pattern and not drink alcohol.

Thanks for the advice, glad you have recovered.

• Posted

Sleep paralysis is a horrible thing to live with. Ive had it for as long as i can remember. It can be exacerbated by some medications. Maybe worth lookin into that. Hope things get better fir tou.
  • Posted

Hey temporary94, I'd like to suggest two things to you: one is to exercise to really, physically tire out your body. Your body will then take the rest it needs from you.. i.e. you WILL get tired and you WILL sleep. Personally I love doing weights and I also think girls should lift weights, because it is fantastic for your physique (no, you will not get big, but you will get a great / healthy body believe me!) - but that is up to you to decide.

The other big thing you can do is meditate.. essentially you want to switch off the constant chatter in your head, which is keeping you awake. Google "sleep meditation" or similar and you will find lots of things.

Honestly, combine exercise with meditation WILL sort out your lifestyle ;-)

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, I've had sleep paralysis in years, at times it's worse and at other times it gets much better. IME, if I wake up from a long night's sleep and try to sleep a little bit more, chances are I'll get it. The same thing goes with naps in the middle of the day, but not as likely as with the first example. There are rare occasions when this can happen right when I'll fall asleep and it really sucks.

Like other people here said, it has a lot to do with having a healthy lifestyle, being rested, calm and not abusing stimulants. I'd stay off coffee and pops and sugars, exercise, and go out in nature. Also, it wouldn't hurt if you made a sleep test so that they can test your sleep efficiecy (stages of sleep, heart, breathing, etc.) Sometimes there's comorbidity between sleep paralysis and narcolepsy.

• Posted

Sleep paralysis used to happen to me all the time, almost every night I read everything there is to read about it and the only thing that actually helped was sleeping on my sides and not laying flat on my back! As simple as that, it worked for me. Now it only happens to me rarely if I forget to sleep on the side or switch positions during the night, but if you are a still sleeper and do not move around alot you probably should try this it will save you! Good luck
    • Posted

I get sleep paralysis multiple times during the night, I used to sleep on my back but had to switch to my side after spinal surgery, I wish I could say it helped but for me it has made it worse. I am becoming dark under the eyes and exhausted from constantly having to go through this terrifying experience.

I need help but don't know who to turn to sad

• Posted

Hi lucyfer78,

Do you still have sleepparalysis ?

Ive had it a few times , anxiety and a bad sleep rythm was definitely the cause.

So id advise you get a good sleep rythm and only focus on the goodthings in life. Don't be afraid .

I found listening to this song during the day and whilst falling asleep helped me a lot.

Hope it helps you and others too .

Big love x

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I actually sleep in my back. And i have it 4 times in a row then i switch to my side and i finally sleep, i never saw the pattern but i guess ill have to try this.

• Posted

It can be a multiple number of things (current stress level, subsoncious, diet, changes in surrondings, medications) I want to say I beat my SP but I was also dual diagnosed with night terrors and thats what it sounds like you're having. For instance, one of my night terrors and SP was while I was just getting off work lying on the couch, next I remember, all the lights were off but the tv was all fuzzy/static, now at this point I'm aware this is no dream and I try to move. So the static from the tv gets louder incresingly than a hand reaches out for me, slowly. I try and wiggle myself out of the paralyzed state before the hand nearly touches my face, instead I start screaming, the hand is close but the tv turns off and I hear a voice that says "Shh, your with me now." Was this demonic? I dont know but I did have problems as a child sleepwalking and sleep screaming. The following day I did ask if anyone had heard me screaming and said those words, nothing. At this time I was working a high volume, high pressured bartending job and I was drinking a lot of energy drinks. I was eating and working out, especially cardio. I saw my doctor after a series of these incidents, he put me on Xanax (which isnt just for the NT/SP, I also suffer from moderate anxiety and now PTSD.)  See a doctor amd get answers, theres nothing more terrifing than being helpless in a dream that controls you. Especially my dad seeing his 4 year old son sleepwalk into the darkest room in the house, sit down and scream. Whatever you do, don't get on any Ambien or Anti-Psychotic medicine, It can get so much worse. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Iv had sleep paralysis since I was 4. I dont know what triggered it but its god damn scary. Im now 19 and its getting progressively worse. Its rather embarrassing at times, Especially when I fall asleep at my Mrs house. I thinks its getting worse due to the amount of stress im under. Has anyone got any tips on how to manage it? I dont really want to go to the doctors about it.

Thanks

• Posted

My first time experiencing sleep paralysis was two nights ago at first I thought I was having a stroke. But later found out what it was and it happened every time i fell asleep that night for four hours over and over sometimes as soon as I would wake up I would lay my head back down and immediately go into it again. It was the most terrifying night of my life
    • Posted

I have just to my knowledge experienced sleep paralysis for the first time. wow! First of all I saw vivid colours - yellow, orange and white patterns before my eyes and I remember thinking this is beautiful I've never experienced this before and then I became paraysed, I immediately thought I was having a stroke and was going to die, I tried to call out for help but couldn't speak so I tried to roll my body.  When this feeling subsided I asked by hubby if he could hear me trying to call for help and he said no, I proceeded to tell him my experience but he just fell asleep, no sympathy there then ha! but thats because I dream a lot and bore him  the next morning with the details, but this was something else, changed my pillow recently could a crick in the neck cause this I wonder.  I am going to try and sleep again now, but when you said it happened again and again that night, oh dear, have you had it since,  Elaine 
    • Posted

oh yes damn near every night since i go days without sleep so im too exausted to even care or be bothered with it but it hasnt gotten any less extream. and your experience was just like mine. however i have a demon/monster who comes out of my closet and chews on my big toe on my right foot. funnier still is i sleep with socks on and i wake up and my right one willl be gone and my wife finds them in the closet. also i have a stedy pain in the toe also. 10 months of this crap and i cant get a grip on it

• Posted

Hi chris,

Ive had it too. Its usually caused by anxiety and bad sleep rythm. But dont be afraid.

I found a lot of peace listening to this whilst falling asleep

Hope it helps you too

Big love,

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.