Sleep problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

I don't know what to do i take 10mgs of paxil and 1mg of ativan at bedtime but i am still restless agitated not sleeping well crying keeping my boyfriend up. 

What can i do please give me some advise to where i can get a betters night sleep i drink sleepy time tea before bed i take a long warm bath then a shower i even have another bath in the middle of the night then when i do go to sleep its morning 

Please adive would help just feel like crying and getting angry at this whole menopause stuffcryfrown

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

iv been like this then this week i just stoped trying to hard to go to sleep

i got  so upest and couldnt stop thinking about things all the time  just things constantly popping up in my head to keep me awake it was driving me mad

i just stoped worrying about stuff

I do keep waking up still after iv droped off but i just stop tryi g to fall back to sleep and worrying and just dont know why i just had a better sleep this week.

maybe my hormones are changing again and im not having a sleep prob this week so bad as the last few weeks i duno, like just today iv started with a diff symptom its something different all the time. last week i kept waking ip and i was all clammy and wet round my chest and tummy on top of legs had to get changed then id be peeing every five mins.

im drinking herbal teas for sleep and im doing more i. day to make me more tierd, then im puting my ipad down and not taking it to bed with me which i was doing. 

iv been told not to take sleeping pills as a nurse told. my fatherinlaw who had a stroke that he shouldnt as its real bad for yoy to take them. 

so im not.

i think since iv stoped worrying about tryi g to go sleep its helped me 

• Posted

Thank you sometimes i don't understand why i am so on edge and agitated and i just feel like walking around the apartment and taking baths to calm me down i even drink sleepy time tea but last night it did not help was still agitated and restless 
    • Posted

About ur feeling like u hafts pee every 5 minutes, that's how I feel!! I'm NOT pre or peri- menopausal. My hysterectomy was about 9-10 YEARS AGO! WTH? I keep asking myself if I have 2 bladders!! Lol wow! I'm SO glad to know I'm not weird! Thank you.!!!!! Yes, I also feel like I have to pre a LOT. And it's not like I just sit there. I DO pee. Every time. Go figure. 😃🙅🙅
  • Posted

Y r u on Paxil @ Ativan?

For my insomnia, I take Trazodone 100mg. One tablet. I'm generally asleep within an hour. Sometimes more. I have awoken after just 2-3 hours, but after I visit the bathroom and lie back down, I'm back to sleep pretty quickly. Ask ur doc about putting u one that instead of the other two medications. I haven't always been an insomniac. This is just recent-within the last 4-5 years.

• Posted

The paxil and ativan is for anxieties my doctor told me that paxil will help me sleep but i am so restless and on edge at night that i just cry and walk around and take several baths to help me calm down. At times i am so aggrevated that i keep my boyfriend up and last night we got into a huge argument 

i use to be on trazodone but it raised my heart rate my heart was always racing when i took that 

• Posted

Aww. I'm so sorry to hear that. I truly hope uz made up. How long have u been on Paxil? Is it working for u? It doesn't sound like it.

Io had tried, I think, every single non-prescription sleep aid out there. Then, I finally told my doctor I was not sleeping at night. He had asked me what wS going on and told me I looked "wiped out". I was neat tears watching everyone have a good nights' sleep when I just couldn't get there, no matter how hard I cried about it. I found out that even when I'm not sleeping for like 3 days (by that, I mean, I took a 2 hour light nap n that was all the sleep I got for days at a time. My doc saw there was something wrong. He had wondered if I was avid in my meds. He did do blood work and realized I wasn't. So, again, near tears, I told him I wasn't sleeping and I was irritatable and short with everyone. He said he understood and, that's when he prescribed the Trazodone. It's 100mg and it WORKS! Yep. I was afraid it would stop working after a few days like everything else did, but I've been taking it for about 3 months now. Sometimes, it takes like an hour to make me feel tired, but I DO, finally, sleep! For at least 8 (eight) hours. Usually 9, tho.

• Posted

Susan, it's quite possible that the meds ur taking don't work at all FOR you, and that they're acting AGAINST you, instead. Not everything works the same way for all of us.

Sounds like ur doc is using u and his other patients for Guinea pigs. Idk u or ur doc. I just think that docs need to prescribe mind-altering meds like Paxil MUCH less than they do. They can EASILY have an adverse effect.

When ur prescribed anything, look it up. Look up the side effects, cuz neither ur doc, nor ur pharmacist will tell u them. Ok? Do urself that favor.

I, myself, wasn't aware of things like that till I went to college and got my degree (just in time for me to not be able to use it. Can't sit or stand for any length of time because of the AS, Ankylosing Spondylitis.) I learned a lot of stuff and have been extremely interested in medical things ever since because I CAN understand it now.)

• Posted

Well, anyway,

Make up wit ur hubby. We need them. I know mine keeps me sane. Lol. Their love and patience helps us thru. As for ur anxiety, I've had anxiety attacks before and I KNOW they're no fun. Some of the scariest pasty of my entire life. I've learned how to talk myself down, tho. U hafts talk to urself (even if it's out loud). Tell urself, " it's ok. It's not all of what ur thinking. Everything is going to be more ok than you think." Things like that. I know about the heart palpitations and the sweat in and hyperventilating, too. I've been there. I learned to talk myself through them the same way my sister used to talk me out of my fear when our dad was driving us across a bridge. Same thing. Ur comforting urself. Ok. Speak calmly to YOU. Ok? Take good care. Call ur Doctor, and see if he'll put u on the Trazodone. Ok? It works like a charm. And, I'll just bet that ur anxiety will calm down as soon as u out urself on a schedule of sleep. Take ur pill about the same time every night. Figure not to be doing anything but lying down. U shud be asleep within an hour. For me, the tv on and down where I can hear that it's on, but can't hear what they're saying. Like 'white noise'. It may help u. To me, anything's better than silence. Idk why, but that's the way it is for me. Good luck and lemme know when happens.

It's a pleasure to meet u.

😀😃🙅

• Posted

Thank you for your reply i will talk to my doctor and see what she says
    • Posted

Thank you i hate being on all these meds but if i went off it my anxieties would be up the roof 

• Posted

Maybe i should try trazodone again but my heart rate was always racing while i was on it don't know have to think about it 

Thank you for your advise

• Posted

Hi Susan, i know exactly what you are going through, I have suffered chronic insomnia on and off for 5 yrs. all meno related. I have been prescribed sertraline and zoplicone. My anxiety has been so great because of lack of sleep the doc has just put me on beta blockers to try and settle things down, as I need to go on hrt but can't because of hrt. I go through periods of sleeping like a baby for 2 weeks, then, bam, it's back again and I am pacing around the house with sleepy tea at all hours of the night. It's ruling my life, so you have my utmost sympathy. Rest assured you are not going mad, it's just a horrible symptom of the meno. I also take a host of alternatives like magnesium, eve primrose oil, and b vitas and eat a healthy diet. I also had cbt coaching, to no avail. It's hormonal, go back to your doc and discuss hrt (never thought I would say that, let alone consider it, but when it takes over your life, we have to do something) Good luck and sending you hugs
    • Posted

You said you need to go back on HRT but can't how come you can't take HRTs may i ask. 

I drink sleepy time tea and take a couple of warm baths to help my body to relax it helped last night 

I was on HRT messed up my diabetes and blood pressure and thyroid i have to be careful about HRTs because of my diabetes, my high blood pressure and my low thyroid. 

Yes HRTs is fine but the warning with strokes and heart attacks i have to be more carful because of the diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea i am already at risk of strokes, or heart attaks because of this and adding HRT would put me at a higher risk than i already am 

On the up side of HRTs it help people sleep and relax with some people 

At least i do not smoke 

• Posted

Hi, I made a typo. My bp is high that's y I can't take hrt, doc thinks beta blockers may bring it down. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy of the idea of hrt, but lack of sleep and anxiety is just as harmful as going on hrt (my opinion)
    • Posted

Thats one reason i can't take HRTs due to high blood pressure myself and diabetes and low thyroid 

It messes up everything when your on HRTs 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.