Sleep problems and sweating

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi I'm new to this pmr having just started steroids almost 3 weeks ago, I see rheumatoigist next week to discuss how treatment is working I guess, anyway within a few days the pain and stiffness have gone with the exception sometimes in the mornings my upper back still feels rather tender but I do have restricted movement in shoulders due to frozen shoulders from 7 years ago so that could be the cause of that . I am pleased that the pain and stiffness have gone but I work in a shop and I am on my feet all day by the end I am aching and so tired I could sleep for a week the problem is when it's time to go to bed I struggle to get to sleep and toss and turn all night , I was so looking forward to a good nights sleep once treatment worked , I also find I sweat a lot this is different to the hot flushes I sometimes I get does anybody else experience this and have any remedies I could try to sleep please 

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Molly, a big welcome from me too!  The sweats are a nuisance and many of us experience them.  It can help if you try cutting down or avoiding coffee and alcohol, at least avoiding all caffeinated drinks (I even switched to decaf tea).  Also avoid spicy foods.  It will improve as you reduce the dose.
    • Posted

Thanks Mrs o I usually only have one cup of coffee a day usually mid morning and the rest of the time i drink tea but not to excess usually 2 or 3 cups a day at most ,I am trying to increase my water intake like most of us I don't drink enough but I think I will try decaf drinks now . I do like spicy foods also , I only have alcohol occasionally as I found that did make menopause sweats and flushes worse so will cut that out for this also . Oh the joys of getting older 
    • Posted

The only good thing about getting old is that you have lived a long time.😃😃😃
  • Posted

Hello Mollly

I find that I sleep better, if I have had a nap during the day, it need only be for a few minuites actual sleep. Strange I know. But it works for me.

The sweats ease in time. For the dreaded 'head sweats'   I found a cold cold compress round my neck helped enormously.

• Posted

I don't think it is strange - remember the kids when they got overtired? They wouldn't/couldn't sleep either. My mother always called it "past tired". 

With PMR you often end up feeling almost ill with the tiredness and can't relax. A rest in the afternoon makes for a more useful evening instead of feeling ratty and sorry for yourself - better for you and better for the family!

• Posted

Wow, first 3 weeks, I was wired first 3-4 weeks. Didn't have hot sweats, but do now at 7 mg.  I guess we are lucky down south, we have air conditioning and I can turn it down to 75 F degrees  !!!  Love it!

has anyone tried Melitonin to help sleep? It was recommended but I have not tried it. For a few weeks I wasn't able to get to sleep and sometimes am up in middle of night for 2 hours at least. But been ok last few nights.

Sometimes I try camomile tea and it helps. But mid evening, not right before bed. Nurse said don't want hot drink right before bed, said body wants to cool down before sleep, never heard this before. 

• Posted

The body doesn't cool down before sleep - it cools down during sleep as far as I understand it. It has also been shown (somewhere, don't ask me where) that a hot, or at least warm, drink helps cool you down - so the British habit of a nice cup of tea at any point and in any temperature is not so daft! Like curry, it makes you sweat and that cools you down. You'd think that the Indian subcontinent might know a bit about cooling down...

Melatonin is not available as such in the UK except on prescription. There are warnings about not using it alongside pred - but someone who does use it said family members who are a GP and pharmacology PhD say the evidence is more it is OK than that it isn't.

• Posted

PS - It is common to have disturbed sleep during the night but I think it is more a case of WAKING rather than difficulty getting to sleep. Which does melatonin help? I know people swear by it for jet lag. I just accepted it. It still happens but not every night - one bad night, one good night. Sleep hygiene (as it is called) helps:  no TV, computer or phone screens just before bed, no lights in the bedroom, especially green or blue, cool enough. My husband's alarm clock drives me up the wall with its massive green display - before I go to bed I put a box of tissues across it but he always manages to disturb it when he comes to bed a couple of hours later! He can't understand it...
    • Posted

I think too many of us worry too much about NOT sleeping (in the night I mean).  I've got into the habit of just lying there and thinking how good life has been, and all the places of interest I've visited - almost don't want to fall asleep again.😃😃

Different in the day, of course, when we can't do the things we want/have to do.  Thank goodness my tiredness has settled down quite a bit.  Could that be the decrease in pred - 5mgs?

• Posted

It could be - and your body catching up and making its own corticosteroid again.

You are so right - the more you get in a tizz about not sleeping, the less likely you are to sleep. Learning to relax is very helpful - and spending some real relaxation time during the afternoon, whether you sleep or not, can make it easier to get to sleep when you got to bed. Paradoxical, but there it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.