Sleep strategies

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all.

Sounds like some awful situations are affecting the sleep patterns of people. I understand it would be great if there was a "quick fix" for it and I used to think it was really only medication that would help with that but even though I am on a high dose now I find a lot of other things work just as well and are essential for good sleep.

Things such as making sure I get an hour long walk at least every day, keeping busy during the day with a "wind down" time at night watching TV and just doing housework, eating healthily as much as possible, and having quite a few drinks of warm milk all really enable me to sleep better. Listening to good music and being kind to myself while treating myself to things like my favourite food or meal occassionally also works. If not sleeping one night I find usually it just catchs up with me the second or third. There are phone counsellors too to assist people that I find great at sharing things with usually. Sure if you are on medication it is not a good idea to withdraw from it unless at the right time with medical assistance - but it is not always the only thing that is helpful. Keep posting - it is great everyone is being so supportive on this website - it is a good strategy to use.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

We can  each help each other  .. Together we  build new llives

Free of drugs. esp.Zopiclowns

Xx

• Posted

Absolutely. And knowing when to stay on meds and when to increase is not easy but can take place. Everyone here is so supportive and helpful. Sleep strategies can help with or without sleeping pills. All this is so awful - be kind to yourselves and give yourself due credit for what you have come through. Things will improve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.