Sleep... What helps you??? Getting to sleep and staying asleep is frustrating !?!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone offer some good advice on getting to sleep or something you use sleep pills or alternative ?? Kind thanks smile

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Just wear yourself out before bedtime and don't take any naps during the day.
  • Posted

Wearing yourself out and not taking naps didnt work for me.  I was exhausted and having to get up for work meant I needed some sleep.  I started off on herbal nytol and they seemed to work for me.  I now buy a cheaper version from pound shop and they do the trick.  My sleep pattern isnt great but I can at least get some sleep. zzzzzzzz
    • Posted

Thanks... I looked up Herbal Nytol... It says I can't take it if I am using Propanolol for heart rate sad Bummer because that's what sleeps me awake the heart rate... 
  • Posted

I agree with Lynn...no naps.  but also I found if I keep the house cool at night, and have a fan blowing on me, I can sleep.

• Posted

One 25 mg tablet of the antidepressant called Tofranil (generic name imipramine). One of the side effects is it makes you sleepy. When I had a major depressive episode when I was younger, I had a horrible sleep disorder and this corrected it. I woke up feeling rested and dreamt a lot more.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda ... I'll mention that to my GP... Is it addictive or hard to get off after using ??

I take beta blocker but doesn't work long enough ... Audrey

• Posted

I had trouble taking a therapeutic dose of 75 mg because of its anticholinergic (dry mouth etc.) side effects but at a low dose of 25 mg no problem at all. Could even take 50 mg. It is not addictive but it does have sedative properties. My brain was missing that neurotransmitter chemical so it is perfect for me but others may not find that, although if you Google it I did see a lot of people expressed positively that it worked for them with regard to improving depression. As I said, my depression manifested with a sleep disorder so it improverd that a lot. As always, I would start at the lowest dose of 25 mg (even comes in 10 mg pills). Was used at the lower dose to treat children for bedwetting. Was the most studied drug I was told by a psychopharmacologist and they don't test drugs like that today.
  • Posted

P.S. an addictive drug is one in which you need more and more of it to get the same effect you get at lower doses. This definitely does not do that.
    • Posted

That's awesome . Thanks for all the information . Are you sure you didn't want to be a doctor.. You are quite knowledgeable about medications ... Thanks
    • Posted

Actually a door to door salesman sold my mother a Medical Encyclopedia when I was 10 and I was hooked from that moment on. I was not interested in cutting up cadavers however, which prevented me from going to medical school. That and a lack of funds.
    • Posted

Lol... I was excited about research as well . But can't stomach blood ... Well all that reading you should be grandfathered therapist .... Thanks
  • Posted

Hi Audrey! 

I think it depends on what is keeping me awake... If it's aching joints I take ibuprofen, sometimes a large glass of wine, I try to mediate on consciously relaxing my whole body bit by bit (neck, jaw, shoulders, arms, back, legs, feet) I try to not think about daily stresses and try to allow my mind to relax.  Often it's my thumping pounding heart which stops me (and hubby) from sleeping as it literally snakes the bed!  If anyone else has any good advice, I'd like to hear it too! Xxx

• Posted

I have the problem of poor sleep some nights, but not always, and I haven't had a problem of my heart rate keeping me awake since long before my Graves' Disease went into remission.

I don't usually set an alarm because I don't usually have to wake up at a certain time in the morning, but if I do have to get up earlier than I would normally get up, I find that setting the alarm helps, so I don't worry about not waking up on time.  My issue is usually that I don't sleep through the night.  To help myself go back to sleep after waking up, I take long, deep slow breaths for a while.  I even count them instead of "sheep."  Soon, I lose track of the count and I'm asleep breathing normally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.