Sleepiness on Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am on Mirtazepine 45 and my doc started Me on Citalopram 20mg as It suppose to an activating dryg. It’s my 3rd day on Citalopram and so far I feel tired and sleepy. Will It wear off? I take It every morning and Mirt at night but maybe it would be better to take both at night?Any experiences and advice please. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I dont think you are supposed to take the full dose of mirt 45mg, as well as 20mg of cit, which is half maximum dose for cit. To me that seems a too high a total anti depressant dose. Cit isnt necessarily an activating anti depressant, its just not a sedative one. Its the 45mg of mirt thats making you sleepy. I would have thought the idea was to reduce mirt, add cit, and youd be less sleepy. If the new dose youve been recommended is correct, its going to take 3 or 4 weeks to notice any improvememts.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Nigel. My doc increased Mirt to 45 because 30 wasn’t doing anything and it will also take a few weeks for Cit to work. Once I am better Mirt will be reduced. I would rather be on Cit to be honest if it is going to help. 
  • Posted

i would suggest that you go back to your doctor and have the mirtazapine either lowed or stop taken it ,but not straight away ,but little by little,otherwise you will get withdrawal symptoms,,thus the tiredness will gradually wear off.Citalopram also has a relaxing part which is why you are feeling tired,plus the side effects will gradually decrease the longer you stay on Citolopram
    • Posted

Yes, that’s the plan. I would like eventually stay only on Cit. I am glad the tiredness will wear off. Mirtazapine was so bad to start. Tiredness and grogginess was unbelievable!
  • Posted

Ala, i was on amitryptyline and citalopram and my doctor advised me to take separately and not together. Check with your doctor he might advise you to swap around.
    • Posted

Did you feel tired on both? Or did it improve? Mirtazapine helps with sleep and makes me drowsy so I have to take it at bed time. Day 4 of Citalopram do me and today tiredness is not so bad as yesterday but anxiety kicked in. Hopefully after a week or two side effects will wear off and it starts to work on my depression.
    • Posted

Hi Ala, I was always tired on Amitryptline and took it for about 3 years, couldnt get going until about lunchtime, had to have about two cups of coffee on work mornings to wake up.
    • Posted

Sometimes it just baffles me how doctor's prescribes..

• Posted

The doctors mistook my side effects for other health problems, my medication caused hemiplegic migraines, I ended up taking 5 meds which made me very ill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.