Sleeping fear

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone

To get straight to the point, as you can see from the tittle it's about my sleeping part. However, I need to 'add' on this that since about 10 years ago I started having anxiety disorder accompanied with phobias regarding health. Those fears are the source of what's making me anxious or afraid because I don't get panic attacks ( just 1 in my life ) or have generalized anxiety without specific thought of a health condition I would be afraid of. I'm mentioning this because what I'll describe to you is ( I think ) assosiated and 'followed' to that starting situation.

So, my problem is that I'm afraid of not being able to fall asleep. I'm afraid I'll remain in bed awaken all night and the sun will rise finding me tired and exhausted, knowing I wasted a whole night without getting the appropriate rest.

How it all began? Just one night 3 years ago when I was chilling in bed chatting with friends etc. on my mobile phone and kinda attempted to sleep very late at about 4-5 am which was not uncommon sometimes for me, as I used to do that at home or even other nights we hang out in bars/clubs etc. without any problem and got back to sleep normally. However that night I was somehow 'nervous' ( we're human beings, it happens ) or had tension sort of thing and couldn't fall asleep. Sun came up and it terrified me, slept a few hours later and began my day exhausted but the thing is I realized it became a fear because of what occured. Somehow at some points of my life I didn't like to get to sleep very late or when the sun appears but it wasn't related with any fear at all, like now. It was just something I don't like.

It is also assosiated with the fact that it tires my body so all the health related fears get worse, maybe that's a 'source'?

Last night had this happening and fall asleep at 7 am ( also had other anxious nights but didn't went so far except last night, the first night that caused it and one more night at summer ). I just felt I kinda went into deeper sleep mode cause I kinda watched a 'dream' so it means I fall asleep during the night for a few minutes maybe then woke up because of the tension and remained nervous. Whenever I have other issue in my life or when my mind is completely 'distracted' from that 'fear' focusing other 'fear' ( example other health situation I'm dealing ) I fall asleep normally without wasting time. In the evenings/afternoons I sleep perfectly normal because I feel there is no pressure on time or anything. At night it all happens. And there is huge impact in my mentality and daily emotion as I do things I normally wouldn't do or refuse to do in order not to cause issue at night. Furthermore to add that this period it has gotten worse as we're all inside at home and kinda spend too much time overthinking or not distracting ourselves, another possible problem is that I spend many hours on PC playing games, do you think that's causing issue? However in the 'past' I did not play games and that fear was also there so.. I also stopped doing sports/work out as well ( I do my whole life ) because I'm not in mood.

I'd like to hear your opinions or advices because it's something that's causing big trouble in my life so far and I can't handle it anymore. Something positive or something to motivate me, some tip or some experience.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Try drinking a glass of hot adult formula milk 1 hour before sleep. It might help. If you could drink 2 glasses a day but space it out or you end up going to the toilet middle of the night.

Google how digital devices have blue light which disrupt sleep. Try install apps like twilight to switch your phone to block blue light and see if it helps. You could also try not to look at digital devices 1 to 2 hours before bed. It does disrupt your sleep. You might want to try getting a pair of block blue light glasses and wear it few hours before sleep. It will help.

Soak your feet in a small basin before bed in slightly hot water. It helps too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.