sleeping help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping just feeling as though Ur stopping to breath as u fall to sleep.so.u shock ur self back to being wide awake or just not being able to sleep so ur tired which doesn't help aniexty at all! So I have realised and useful tips etc would be greatful for

Ty for taking time to read and reply much hope and love to all xxx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

yes sometimes when my anx is high i feel the same, u suddenly start awake feeling very disorientated? sounds very much like classic anx, ive found it best to only goto bed when my anx is lower - even if its very late before it happens, just dont worry about it as little as poss
  • Posted

yeah its happened to me too, really not nice, its happened when falling asleep and also when I have been fast asleep too which is even worse x
  • Posted

Yes its bad when you don't feel like you're breathing naurally. It's like you are manually taking each breath. Very uncomfortable. Listen to some anxiety videos on youtube when you're in bed. They might help calm your anxiety
  • Posted

This happened to me last night again. I was only asleep 2 hours then was jolted awake. Kept dosing off but was awaken again by a jolt. Very scary. I must of eventually fallen back to sleep thankfully. I didn't feel I'd had a such an anxiety day but I guess my mind thinks otherwise. I'm full of a cold for 2 weeks which I can't shift. I think I have run my body down with all the tension lately. Having a blocked nose, ears and chesty cough isn't helping me breath easily so perhaps it's that. God to know I'm not alone on this symptom too. Exhausting isn't it? X
  • Posted

Hello everyone, again.......This sounds like the sort of "jolting" awake feeling. Some people describe it as a kind of "electric shock" feeling. It is frightening. I write on here quite a lot because throughout my life I have had so many anxiety symptoms, and I feel it may help others to identify with them.

It may be of interest to you all, that I am older now, but in between (sometimes years) and in spite of the anxiety attacks, I have never lost my interest in clothes, make-up, and general appearance, and people would probable not guess how I have been affected. I have gone on amazing holidays across the world, flying long haul, which I thought I would never do, and going on cruises where you enjoy quite a social life, meeting lots of other people. I only am writing this to prove that you can enjoy life in spite of the "beast".

Keep smiling!

• Posted

Hi - the only good news is that this is not a dangerous thing, just disturbing. Your body is keeping you alive by restarting breathing or making you breath heavily. I have had this too, thankfully now passed. I think for me I was still 'on alert' for some impending tiger attack and my subconscious would not let me drift off in case I got eaten. Similar to dozing off while driving, where you wake up with a real fright ( I'm told ...). There are many things suggested that are supposed to help with this falling / staying asleep problem. The best one that really worked for me was hard case exercise. If you are in ok health to do exercise I strongly recommend it as it can be very powerful for us. Worth as much as all the drugs we have. The trick is to start and then to continue. I needed a lot of help to get out of my foxhole and start. If I hadn't had mirtazapine I'd still be living underground.

I use this little ditty to get myself off the couch (super corny, sorry) : The sun is shining and the world awaits me, forget last night and enjoy today.

Unusually for UK the sun can be actually seen shining today ! Best Wishes, David.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.