Sleeping in

Posted , 7 users are following.

Why do I feel 10x worse when I sleep in? (10+ hours)?

For example, went to bed last night at 11:30 and woke up at 11:00 AM. Feeling horrible today, massive headache and extreme tiredness...

The days I get 7-8 hours I feel better than when I sleep 10-12... Anyone else?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'd just do what feels best for you. 12 hours is a lot of sleep, and if you don't need it, will do you no good. Unfortunately just getting a good sleep doesn't cure CFS... or we'd all be better! 8 hours is pretty normal for sleep, so it wouldn't surprise me that you feel best with around that much.
  • Posted

Im the same.. anything over 8 hrs and i feel like total rubbish, often get a headache also.  I find i work best from 6 - 7 hours.. anything less than that.. and again i feel like total poo sad  just find what works best for you and go with that. I find if i have had a few really bad nights i can get away with about 9 hours.. but thats all.
    • Posted

Interesting. Today (last night) I got 7 1/2 hours and I feel 10x better. I guess it's all about what your body prefers
  • Posted

Hi to you....too long a name for me to give you your correct title...(.fingers maynot last the distance)...joke, sorry....but wondering if this may be some sort of answer...I too have tried to sleep in to gain as much sleep as possible, but also feel "washed out"...and find that my neck is Very stiff if I do so, which leads to me waking with a bad headache (bordering on Migraine)...I find that if I get up when neck starts to become stiff, and then go back a few hours later, suits me better...helpful???....Bron
  • Posted

Hi all,

I find regularity best, like you all, sleeping in does not make me feel good.  I have found that I am now an early riser, 6-7am.  But I run out of energy between 6-8pm.  If I don't heed the tiredness and push through (even just watching tv) I don't function efficiently enough to do anything properly ( or just fall asleep watching tv) 

i have learnt that taking a short rest laying down during the day can do me some good.  Recently, after overdoing the energy output, I hit the tiredness wall and had to just go to bed around 2pm, sleeping for several hours.  This made me feel very rough and not with it afterwards and has upset the sleeping waking pattern.  I have been waking in the night again and losing 2-3 hours of sleep before getting back to sleep.

As as has already been said, it's finding what is best for you.  Also a work in process. I am still trying after three and a half years to find a way of pacing energy output, regulating sleep, etc.  Just as I think I've got it sorted, something throws me off kilter. 

Many docs do. to understand at all and advise me to just do what I feel able to.  But as many others also have realised, what you feel able to do at the time often causes a crash of energy later.  

Best wishes for finding out what's best for you

• Posted

Sounds about right. I usually go to bed at 11 and wake at 6:30 AM. Then find I need a nap at around 2:30 pm. And then can function until around 11:00. If I take too long a nap (getting too much rest) I feel bad again! Most I talk to claim sleeping more makes them feel better. I wish I could sleep in!
    • Posted

Regularity is the key for me as well.  If I stay up too late or sleep in, then I feel terrible.  However, if I need a nap during the day, I do take one.  Naps don't seem to effect how I feel unless I sleep too late in the day.  Hope that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.