Sleeping in a Recliner

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm looking for feed back and suggestions on sleeping in a recliner after THR surgery.  Having read of the many difficulties people encounter with sleeping on their backs and being a slide sleeper myself, I've been thinking a recliner might be the solution.  Have found several very affordable used power recliners on line.  Have people found recliners a good solution for sleeping on their backs?  How far back did your recliner go?  How important was that?  Is a power recliner necessary or would a manually operated one do as well?  Looking forward to your response.  Thanks.

Jim

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I did for the first 10 days. Better than a flat bed  mine went back 2 levels. Level 1 for reading and driving my wife crazy. Level for sleeping. Still cold not sleep through the night for about 6 weeks. Not a back sleeper. Good luck 
  • Posted

I had a RTHR posterior 3 months ago and yes, sleeping on my back was difficult.  Actually everything is difficult for the first three weeks.  Getting in and out of bed was a real pain and exhausting.  As I endured this time and reflected back I would have rented a hospital bed for the first three weeks.  A powered bed would be easier to get in and out of and much easier to sleep in with the elevation of the head.  After the fact I did investigate the cost and it was fairly reasonable.  Just food for thought.
  • Posted

The physio's at joint school said they did not recommend using a recliner after thr, the positioning is not good for the hip.

• Posted

I slept in my power recliner when the bed was just too frustrating. The first few weeks it was the only place I got good rest, and my home PT thought it was a great way to cope. I still use it for sitting in a sort of half standing position when my hip aches a bit, and it's been a year since my surgery.

• Posted

If you had lateral/posterior then you have the 90 degree rule. If it was anterior, like mine was, recliner works well.

I slept on a recliner for almost 2 weeks because it was easier than getting on/off the bed. I sat more upright and elevated with a footstool/with pillows. For the first week, I needed to use my leg lifter to get my leg on it.

I did manage the back sleeping after a while even though I am usually a side sleeper. Even now, I often sleep on my back since I am used to it.

• Posted

Hi! If you can sleep on your back not bad idea to invest in one. I cannot sleep well on my back and can’t wait to be able to sleep on my side.  Last Wednesday I had left posterior hip revision and I’m going thru this cycle again but with more knowledge which has made it more easy. Again I’m already walking without a walker or cane. It’s really up to you as to how and when to do your routine. Your experience is personal. I like to hear everyone their experience but don’t get disappointed if you can’t do it at the same pace.
  • Posted

I purchased a new recliner and used it s lot in the early days didn't sleep in it though good for napping and putting your feet up in the day . Make sutr you get a twin motor type far more versatile. Will be putting mine in e bay soon as wife wants her lounge back ! Pm if you are in uk and intrested will be a bargain for someone .

• Posted

Hi could you please send details of chair price and were you are please.

i am preparing for my hip replacement in a few weeks, sounds like a recliner would be a great help.

many thanks mandy

• Posted

Recliners can be expensive particularly if electric and even more do if they have a twin motor. Maybe worth looking for a secondhand one if you do not need it long term. With mine they took into account the height you wanted it and the size depending on your weight etc. Pricey though! 
  • Posted

Hello All,

Thanks for the many helpful replies.  Looking at several locally but wanting to ask-  How important is finding a powered recliner? Are the manually operated ones unsuitable for after surgery?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

• Posted

They say don’t use a manual one. Possibly because you may need to get yourself in a position that can hurt the hip.
  • Posted

No idea on a powered one but it does sound nice. I have a manual that took very little effort or open or close with 3 positions. 
  • Posted

Thanks to all that responded.  I located a powered recliner for sale in very good condition, aesthetically excellent, functionally new that reclines far enough back that my toes are level with my chest and with a pillow or two, above my chest.  Very reasonably priced, the guy was moving out of state and needed to unload a bunch of furniture.  Got it home and gave it a test run the first night.  Propped my left knee up a few inches with a pillow, got a light blanket- it's been warm and comfortable here this Spring- and slept in it the first night.  Not bad really but not a real "deep" sleep either.  Don't know exactly why but the quality and depth of the sleep was different.  Woke up rested, a little stiffer than usual but that might be because I'd worked out at the gym and the damn showers were off for repair and when I got home late was to lazy to shower and just ate and went to sleep [disgusting I know].  A hot shower and cold rinse is how I start my day and finish my workout so will repeat the experiment with proper controls tonight.  The lack of a "good", "deep" sleep in the chair led me to taking a 2 1/2 hour nap that afternoon form which I awoke very rested but that pattern has become a more regular occurrence than I can really justify except that I find it restful.  My vote is the chair will be a good back up.  Thanks again for the pointers.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.