Sleeping in chair

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 10 days post left TKR LEFT had my right one done 11 months ago I've been on this forum all the time I know the answers but just want to say I'm ok and doing pretty good BUT THE dreaded can't sleep in the bed hasn't gone away I catnaps all day and night so I get by BUT just wanted to say 👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you read my discussion...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Can any of this help you???

• Posted

I have a question for you, Chico. I'm ten weeks post op.  I've done all the exercises asked of me religiously.  My knee still is swollen because I can not take anti inflammatories.  I lost so much weight from not eating and almost being incapacitated I took myself off the strong pain meds.  One of the PT's pushed so hard on my leg I thought it would break..seriously.  Now the surgeon wants me to take even stronger pain meds so they can work me even harder.  My knee is going to blow up like a watermelon.  I don't see how I can bend my knee if it gets anymore swollen.  I started using a TENS machine which seems to be helping.  I feel as though the surgeon just wants to get done with me before the holidays.  I'm afraid they're going to do something to cause me even more troubles.  For some reason, I've developed plantar fasciitis since the surgery.  I don't need anymore damage. Has anyone been in a similar situation?  What did you do?  Is overly aggressive PT the answer?  I am really discouraged.  My progress has been so slow there have been times I would have quit if it had not been for the loving care of my husband.  I do 12 exercises three times a day.  Too many?  Not enough?  

• Posted

First, you have to remember that 10 weeks is still very early in your recovery.  Swelling after a tough PT session is totally normal because they're breaking down the scar tissue.  This must be done for you to regain full use of your knee.  Lots of people take an opioid 1 hour prior to a session to get through the pain.  Normal.

The work you're doing at home may be too much.  Back off and see if that helps.  Also, a topical anti-inflammatory could be very helpful.  Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is really great for this.  Use it a few times a day, especially right before bedtime.

It's very common to be "discouraged" at this point.  Ten weeks is a lot of work and you haven't seen the benefits side of this yet which start in the 3-4 month range.  It will get better for you soon and the memory of this time will start to fade.  (Just kidding...the memory never fades...it's like a never-ending horror show...LOL!!!)

Just stick with it...do whatever you can to ease the pain.  I finished my PT at 13 weeks post-op...it was a lot of work...but worth it.  At 21 months, it's "almost" like it never happened...and yes...the memories do fade...a bit...

• Posted

Hi Joan, don’t go without sleep get to your GP and get some prescription sleeping pills,I was exactly the same no sleep not through pain just discomfort all I did was take a pill every other night and it was a god send helped me over a difficult few weeks,and when I finished them I certainly didn’t miss them,it’s  no good for your recovery if your exhaust all day as well.
  • Posted

HI Joan,

i had tkr July 27th of this year. I remember those sleep issues!  Ugh!!  Since you've been on here for quite awhile i just wonder if you have heard of anyone that has had the fat pad slip out of their knee. I have a golf ball squishy lump on the outside of my knee that isn't painful at all. Just there. I had an MRI which showed nothing and my surgeon said the fat pad may have slipped due to a looseness in my knee. I am getting a second opinion, but wonder if you or anyone else has heard of this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.